306 Hdi oil cap dislodged

Pugfan306HDI

Tadpole
Hi Forum,

Whilst topping up washer fluid I noticed oil all over the engine cover only to discover the engine oil filler cap was missing. Luckily the cap jammed itself near the firewall so was simply a meter of retrieving and refitting.

Car is almost due a service so am thinking this cap could have been loose for up to 6 months. Oil level is still full but I’m worried about contamination.

Is there anything to worry about? Should I get the oil changed ASAP?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Engine cover loose?

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Engine cover loose?

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

No, engine cover securely fixed on all four points. May have vibrated loose.

Should I be worried about any contaminants getting in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should no be a challenge of been on normal roads.you should be able to discern if there has been much.
Make sure the situation is noted on there system.
Question is...if it is noted on your books how muck it would alter its value.
the way to test oil contamination,rather in a Lab. is to compress it between 2 smallish pieces of glass.

Engine cover loose?
That’s what I was told to check when the oil cap on my 406 HDi came loose on more than one occasion, and then it finally got lost somewhere on the road between Mangoplah and Holbrook. And after replacing the cap, it would still get dislodged. I had wondered if the original cap had been ‘worn’, although it didn’t feel like it was. But if a new cap was still being dislodged, then clearly something else was wrong.

I eventually had to completely remove the engine cover. That was more than two years ago and I have had no trouble with the oil cap since then.