306 cab. roof

CARPETSNAKE

Tadpole
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to Aussiefrogs and this is my first thread. Was wondering if anyone could help with a 306 cabriolet roof which is not operating electrically. When the button is pressed there is no movement of the roof but there is a clicking sound coming from somewhere. I have been told it is a fairly common problem but no-one seems to know what is actually wrong or how to fix it. Would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance,
CARPETSNAKE

First thing when I get a 306 cab in with a roof the doesnt work is to reset it. Put the roof completely down and locked in manually. Make sure the mechanism that raises the flap isn't broken. When roof is down completely its ready to learn. Simply push the button to put it back up. If electrically and hydraulically all is there it should work. Obviously do the simple things, like make sure the pump has oil. If it's not working still you'll have to use a multi meter to find out where signals not getting to the pump/computer

First thing when I get a 306 cab in with a roof the doesnt work is to reset it. Put the roof completely down and locked in manually. Make sure the mechanism that raises the flap isn't broken. When roof is down completely its ready to learn. Simply push the button to put it back up. If electrically and hydraulically all is there it should work. Obviously do the simple things, like make sure the pump has oil. If it's not working still you'll have to use a multi meter to find out where signals not getting to the pump/computer
Thanks very much cav91. carpetsnake

I’m never sure when people talk about the roof being up or down which one is which. I have had different people say the same thing but mean the complete opposite of each other. It’s very frustrating.

So, with the roof closed - that is, in rain protecting mode - the roof first needs to be unlocked and then, I have found, it needs to be pushed up to the first stop position. (I don’t know if that’s how it’s designed or if both of the 306 cabriolets we have owned have been faulty.)

Only at that first stop position will pushing the button have any effect. But I’ve also noticed that the current car occasionally needs a gentle reminder that it has to start moving, even though the button is being pushed.

I can just give the roof a slight tap upwards and then the automatic roof activity takes over. It will generally work properly after that gentle reminder. Occasionally, it needs another gentle reminder half way through the operation.

I’m sure that these things will be adjustable but I haven’t really bothered with them. My wife usually drives that car and I have never seen her open the roof of her own accord. When I drive the car, I’m quite happy to do those things to get the open roof feeling.

Cheers,
Andrew

Last edited:
What you are experiencing is the elastic slowly stretching, the assistance you are giving the roof is required for correct operation. Othetr straps control mid operation and eventually the beam folding order as it retracts into the boot. All of which affects operation and can cause the process to stop and needing reset. I am fighting the boot close issue currently and have to lift mine to start it too.