306 Boot leaks

dhaw

Fellow Frogger
Have a water leak in the boot of the 306GTI. Tried a search but no info. I removed the rear light and a pool of water ran out but the light has a rubber seal and I could not see how water could get in from this point. The carpet in the boot is wet on the left hand side. Any ideas?

Put some non-setting gasket goo on the rubber seal on both sides and put it back. See if that stops it.

I had the same problem a while ago in my 405. It turned out that the rubber seal had shrunk over the years, especially at the top left and was now forming a small hole there. It was enough to let water into the boot and wet the carpet on the left side. The water drains down the side and runs over the left to spill onto the seal of the tail light. I took the light out, cleaned the area completely and put some soft black rubber seal that I had in the garage in to the area. Problem fixed.
John505

Also check the hatch rubber seals. Particularly around the top corners. It has to be evenly seated all the way around and the corners are weak points. Especially in heavy rain when the water pools in the top gutter near the hatch hinges.

I had the same problem a while ago in my 405. It turned out that the rubber seal had shrunk over the years, especially at the top left and was now forming a small hole there. It was enough to let water into the boot and wet the carpet on the left side. The water drains down the side and runs over the left to spill onto the seal of the tail light. I took the light out, cleaned the area completely and put some soft black rubber seal that I had in the garage in to the area. Problem fixed.
John505

But its only 20 years old John! Thanks for advice everyone and I'll get on it!