306 Air Filter Heat Shield

Stuart R

Fellow Frogger
Good morning,

I have just had Esscargo put in a new cone air filter and someone has suggested that I would be loosing power due to the filter sucking in more hot air. I have placed my hand near the filter after running the car and it does seem quite hot on the radiator side. Yes I know that it would be getting cooler air of the road while driving but I am thinking about the times that I am sitting at the lights and then have to go, it will suck in a tonne of hot air.

A) Is this a major problem?
B) Does anyone have a heat shield for this type of setup?

Thanks
Stuart

simple, use the factory air setup! peugeot dont snake that long piece of sh1t alond the engine bay for looks, its a TUNED length system. u lose power by shortening it to start with, and the best thing to do is get rid of the pod, get a k&n panel filter, and put it in your factory air box, it is ducted all the way to the front of the car.
and yes u will be loosing heaps of power because of the hot air being less dense than the normal cold air it normally sucks on.
there is a way to duct cold air onto the filter, on the left side of the engine bay (when the car is pointing forwards) in the top left corner it is possible to cut through the thin metal and run a pvc pipe (conjuled pipe ruins the airflow) all the way from the front left corner of the bumper onto your pod filter, although u should make this a box to prevent it sucking standing hot air.
in answer to your question, replace the normal air feed to how it was, sell your pod filter, and fit a panel filter in your air box.

The Gti-6 has a similar setup to the S16, the factory setup also gets hot because on these cars the factory set too sits the filter box behind the radiator....
I have a pod set up too, and the car is just simply more responsive... its not lost any power or made anymore either.. just more sharper on the throttle... the S16's variable intake manifold also helps too, but on the GTI-6 the plenumb is plenty big and its tuned too.
Id, personally, just behind the nearest headlight run a 3"duct down towards the pod and place some aluminium or flexible shield of some sort bettween the pod and the Radiator to redirect the air flow from the radiator towards another direction.
Kinda hard as you have to work from above and below, a mate helps... cheers Xq

ps i test all these changes at Wakefield race track, were i can get a good feel for the car in a safe enviroment and concentrate on it and not surrounding traffic...

<small>[ 02 July 2003, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: xqisid ]</small>

I had the filter from Esscargo fitted with no negative effects.

The car runs perfectly in summer and winter.