306 air conditioning/climate control

Here it is, not too hard but up a little in front and too the right of the blower fan under the
dash.

Easy decision really, its fixable and if the price is right?

Cool, thanks for those pics. Currently experiencing a car confusion right now... seller of the 306 says there's someone coming tomorrow to see it, eek! I've also gone and got interested in a xantia! I wan't a big garage...

Pug is eaier / more common, cheaper to maintain, far more important.

So, this is coming home with me tonight. Taken a gamble, stuck with the pug for now. I'm just crossing fingers I can sort the AC with minimal cost - maybe just some skinned knuckles!
Matt, I'll be asking questions!
IMG_20180416_112705.jpg

No trouble, nice choice good looking car. Love fixing things! It did occur to me that it might be the shaft the things runs on, less likely than dodgy motor but possible all the same, this might mean dash out to fix!

Lucky I have a spare box to play with / refit for a stuffed one. Where is my convertible, I want it?

So I've spent a bit of time with my xsi and I'm pretty sure the AC issue is the clutch/bearing in the compressor. The blower works perfectly and you can vary fan speed with temp control. All good. But the noise I can hear is coming from the compressor and it sounds like a bad bearing. So I guess I could either recondition the compressor, maybe even try diy or just buy a new one.... Or second hand from wrecker.

Air con gone again....

Bloody air conditioning! Long story short, the A/C has been perfect for a while since I installed a used compressor. But now it's got an electrical fault. Keeps blowing the 30 amp fuse under the dash fascia and no sign of life from any HVAC controls. I have pulled the central console apart, removed the control panel but can't see anything obviously wrong. Is there another controller hiding somewhere? The internet shows reference to a climate control ecu but I can't see one.

Also, things I've tested:
Remove AC control panel - turn on ignition - instant fuse blow.
Disconnected blower - turn on ignition - fuse blows.

So now there's nothing connected at all in the centre console, no stereo, temp/clock or HVAC panel. Blower disconnected - The same 30amp fuse blows (No. 20 from memory - whatever the handbook says is the AC/ventilation control)

This seems to have coincided with the several consecutive days of above 40ºc temps. My perfect 306 seems to be failing!

Fixed the A/C - someone in the past has fiddled with the wiring and had used a spade connector in a power supply wire! It had shorted out, hence blowing fuses.... monkeys out there!

That will do it, great that its working. Now onto the rear beam!

You cannot put too much grease (and get good stuff) for bearings, dirty work but worth it. Smear it very lightly over the entire shaft to prevent rust and above all enjoy. The studs in the arb are a trick, ask if you need to.