2cv tyres local purchase

qmusic

Fellow Frogger
Hi all, wow! I love the updated forum. Very nice and it seems allow search and holds messages longer. Nice.
It is maintenance time for the old girl and tyres are coming up.
I contacted some overseas suppliers, in particular Cassis - no reply, and 2cv Shop in UK - not exporting due to CV19.
I am wondering if anyone has purchased these locally. I just called CC Tyres and the man said Michelin don't have any. I'm assuming he has access to their stocks.
If anyone has leads it would be great.
Thanks, Chris

Stuckey tyres in Melbourne sell Michelin. I bought a set of Toyo tyres for mine from Tempe tyres in Sydney. I was put on a watch list and maybe 6 weeks or so later they had stock. Good tyres at abt half the price of Michelin. Cassis are awkard to deal with and I have heard that there branded tyres are not the best.

Stuckey tyres in Melbourne sell Michelin. I bought a set of Toyo tyres for mine from Tempe tyres in Sydney. I was put on a watch list and maybe 6 weeks or so later they had stock. Good tyres at abt half the price of Michelin. Cassis are awkard to deal with and I have heard that there branded tyres are not the best.
Thanks Simmo shall call them - I always love driving past and witnessing the waiting! Could be my tun soon. Chris

Nankang make a tyre to fit at about $120 each. Most tyre shops should be able to source

You could try Tyroola in Sydney.

Not sure how they go with Michelins but I sourced my Nankangs for GS and 2CV from them at a good price and delivered to my door.

Highly recommended service by me at least.

Cheers, Pottsy.

In 125, your only choice is Michelin X; in 135, you can get ZX Michelin or Nankang CX-668, the above-mentioned Toyos (330) the Firestone F560 & not much else that I know of. All of the above have the failing of being poor in the wet. I'd dodge them.

Not good but less poor is Nankang's 145/65-15 AS-1. This will undergear the vehicle by a bit over 2% compared to 125/80. I suggest that this is trifling & that the AS-1 is sufficiently the best of a bad bunch to be worth fitting.
It would tolerate the camber changes caused by 2CV body roll in corners.

If you buy any tyre locally, be aware that these are slow-moving sizes & you should be vigilant about checking the 4 digit sidewall manufacturing-date stamp before parting with any money. No new tyre should be more than 2 years of age & I personally refuse anything over 1 year. If there's anything worse than a tyre compounded poorly for the wet, it's one whose compound has degraded with age to become notably worse in the wet.

Some 2CV owners insist on 125/80-15 Michelins despite their failing as a tyre & if you are one such, then I suggest that stock age concerns would be best allayed by buying from overseas. The best overseas source of "Classic" tyres is, I suggest, Longstones in the UK. Have a browse anyway.

cheers! Peter