2CV Chassis Replacement

13th Jun 2006, 10:32 AM

By DoubleChevron:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan S
Shane,

I am disappointed; I thought you were going to tell them how good it would be with a "real" suspension.:joker::joker: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Alan S :cheers:

Actually a 2cv has kinda interesting suspension, the front suspension is linked to the rear via a bloody great spring, so that when the front wheels hit something hard it has the flow on effect of firming up the rear in readiness (at least that's how I understand it'd work).

2CV's are heaps of fun, being so light and having such extraordinary wheel articulation they don't really need hydraulics :) You haven't driven until you have cornered in a 2cv near it's limits :D (or should that be :eek: :eek:).

seeya,
Shane L.

14th Jun 2006, 09:45 PM

Went for a drive, paid Dave the spray painter & showed Chris & Andrew the 2CV6 Dolly near completed.
It looks magic & more to come on Saturday with the striping & arc on rear doors.

A few small problems during the drive:

The accelerator cable at the pedal end was getting caught on the guide that passes through the firewall. A quick hit with Chris' dremmel & all was good there.

There is still an exhaust leak (little one) which I find really annoying on an air cooled engine so it will be fixed real soon.

Also a flat spot on the second throat on the carby. This was either caused by some crap in a carby jet or stale fuel (mower fuel from shed). Either way after filling up with premium fuel the problem vanished.

The brake reservoir is leaking LHM around the master cylinder seals. I remember this happening after I first got the 2CV on the road last time after purchase, the problem goes away. Must be the seal expanding after being immersed LHM for a period of time.

The last problem is to do with the pedals. When the clutch is in & the brake is pressed, the brake pedal remains in slightly until clutch pedal is released?
We sprayed CRC 556 around the shaft but I think it's POR15 causing problems with extra thickness & the problem will go away.

The duck goes great & there are no weird noises compared with Duck V1.0. New king pins may account for some of this, however, the chassis bending & body stresses would have played a part too.

Next update on Saturday...

DSC06182.jpgDSC06183.jpgDSC06184.jpgDSC06185.jpgDSC06186.jpgDSC06187.jpg

15th Jun 2006, 09:13 AM

By Nigel:

Guys,

What a phenomenal result! Like many, I think, I've been watching this thread in great wonder and just a little envy.

Not only does she look great, but having documented the entire process may just encourage someone else to do the same.

Like me, perhaps.

Well done. I've really enjoyed following the transformation - thanks!

Cheers,
Nigel

15th Jun 2006, 05:27 PM

By sleepy0905:

Well that looks like it has just rolled of the production line you guys are an inspiration to us all to restore a 2CV especially as you have documented the whole process.

I wish i lived in Aus I would have loved to see that car in person because i bet the pictures dont do it justice. :headbang:

17-06-06 Dolly gets her stripes

17th Jun 2006, 03:13 PM

By GreenBlood:

Ok, today Dolly gets her stripes...

Using pics Gerry took before stripping paint from front and rear doors, we have re-drawn on computer and cut spray mask.

...to follow Dolly masked and sprayed, and new striping revealed :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

3 pics by GreenBlood (don't have)

17-06-06 The painting...

17th Jun 2006, 05:23 PM

...a few more pics showing the masking, painting and end result :wink2:

Gerry will have much to add re finishing touches, but we are very happy with today's progress :approve:

Cheers
Chris

15 pics by GreenBlood (don't have)

17th Jun 2006, 07:32 PM

By Pugrambo:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenBlood
Ok, today Dolly gets her stripes...

Using pics Gerry took before stripping paint from front and rear doors, we have re-drawn on computer and cut spray mask.

...to follow Dolly masked and sprayed, and new striping revealed :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

i take it you don't use flexisign :D

the plotter/cutter looks familiar though

17th Jun 2006, 07:46 PM

By GreenBlood:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugrambo
i take it you don't use flexisign :D

the plotter/cutter looks familiar though

Design, draw and cut directly using Corel 11, and the plotter is a Roland, must be 10 years old and hasn't missed a beat :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

17th Jun 2006, 09:38 PM

Those piccies are great. I can't add mine until I connect my PC up again.

Brilliant result today :D

One of the final steps will be in two weeks from today .... buffing & touch ups.
After that, final photos & French Car Day.

Couldn't have done this without Chris, ABSOLUTELY, NO WAY!!!
Thanks MATE :cheers: , VERY HAPPY WITH IT ALL!!!!!
Deeply indebted to your future resto :)

My piccies tomorrow.

17th Jun 2006, 09:56 PM

Dolly traveled 150k's this arvo & only things I will need to attend to are the little exhaust leaks & accelerator sticking after I floor it - ie. most of the time!!!!!
120kphr no probs - don't tell Peter Fosselius!! ( 2CV guru)
Suspension heights are out at the front but I'm adjusting them now.

22nd Jun 2006, 09:33 PM

By BogMaster:

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibgib
Dolly traveled 150k's this arvo & only things I will need to attend to are the little exhaust leaks & accelerator sticking after I floor it - ie. most of the time!!!!!
120kphr no probs - don't tell Peter Fosselius!!(2CV guru)
Suspension heights are out at the front but I'm adjusting them now.

Hey Gerry,

I have been semi deranged for a while now and not following this thread...but you deserve the cardboard order of Lenin for this thread and the real thing for the restoration.

"Can do" has to be your middle name...congratulations!!!!!

24th Jun 2006, 10:45 PM

Thanks BogMaster!

Chris deserves much of the credit with the "appearance" of dolly. He may also challenge you to a cardboard order of your name, "bogmaster" as he has quite a knack with bogging.

I've finally got my PC on the internet after a recent move. I had to go wireless lan. Stack of emails to get through over the weekend.

Anyway, bit of catching up to do re pictures & progress too. With no internet I've been working away at fiddly things after work until fairly late.

Suspension heights are now correct (mungrel job - they were way out). Exhaust leak should be fixed - I inadvertently fitted a goose neck clamp to a manifold pipe which leaves big gaps on both sides. I haven't started it yet to check but should be cool now.

Pictures are of last Saturday's (17/06) striping processes & tonight with the heights right, door handles on & chrome dressing on doors in place.

Next Saturday we are professionally buffing the duck & sticking on the badges & chrome dressing on the sills.

Will be frolicking around the Sunny Coast in it tomorrow so might grab some pics on it's first non-something-to-be-done-to-it outing.

DSC06263.jpgDSC06264.jpgDSC06265.jpgDSC06266.jpgDSC06267.jpgDSC06268.jpgDSC06269.jpgDSC06270.jpgDSC06271.jpgDSC06272.jpgDSC06273.jpgDSC06274.jpgDSC06275.jpgDSC06276.jpgDSC06277.jpgDSC06278.jpgDSC06279.jpgDSC06280.jpgDSC06281.jpgDSC06282.jpgDSC06283.jpgDSC06284.jpgDSC06285.jpgDSC06286.jpgDSC06287.jpgDSC06288.jpgDSC06289.jpgDSC06290.jpgDSC06291.jpgDSC06292.jpgDSC06293.jpgDSC06294.jpgDSC06295.jpgDSC06296.jpg

25th Jun 2006, 02:47 PM

By Simon:

A fantastic effort and results there! And it sounds like it is getting used too! Congrats on its completion, this has been a wonderful thread.

25th Jun 2006, 08:57 PM

Only managed 2 pictures today but it was driving pretty much all day.
A trip down Hastings St, Noosa Sound, Noosaville & Junction. Then off to Coolum & Sunshine Plaza.
The pics are at Sunshine Plaza.

It appears I have a prob with the carby as the accelerator shaft is binding & keeping the revs over 2000 at times. I also see it is leaking some fuel out the end of the shaft. Not driving again until this is fixed especially seeing as this duck had a fire under the bonnet once before.
Carby is out awaiting dismantle :(

DSC06297.jpgDSC06298.jpg

25th Jun 2006, 10:10 PM

By UFO:

I love the contrast between the wanky BMW X5 (or is it a X3) next to it and the brave little 2CV was also able to trek through the wilderness of a carpark and make it to the shops. Did you park in an end space on purpose or was that a fluke (ie less door banging).

Also, you had a DOLLY mask for the front airflap, why does it not appear now? Did you do the old invisible paint trick? :D

25th Jun 2006, 10:19 PM

By STALLED:

I never knew they made brand new 2cv's! :tongue:

Seriously that is one amazing restoration job there - So much hard work and effort has gone into that car making it look as good as new.....if not better than new!

Congrats - a job well done! :cheers::party::party::cheers:

Joel

25th Jun 2006, 11:13 PM

By GreenBlood:

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFO

Also, you had a DOLLY mask for the front airflap, why does it not appear now? Did you do the old invisible paint trick? :D

...ahh yes, there is a little story attached to the missing DOLLY :cry:

Well spotted Craig :spy:

Cheers
Chris