208 Left Hand Side Head light just went

Palo Verde

Fellow Frogger
Well, if it's not one thing, its another. As the title says, the LHS headlight just went,
The right one is still ok,
question

Is this a difficult job to replace bulb
Is the part expensive?

Is it possible to get a less yellowish tone and more of a whitish?

The 208 bulb is movable with a rotary dial in cabin, does this mean if not careful might mess up the mechanics?
Looks like it might be one of those where you have to replace 2 at once like tyres as the older one may look less bright?

I am sure it was never replaced since day zero circa July 2014 is this even normal wear and tear?
Is there a definitive way to attibute to fuse instead of bulb? If fuse where do u get replacement?

I may have to do this at the service centre yesterday once more.

any comments and or experiences with bulb or fuses blowing on 208?

Last edited:
Most likely the bulb has blown. There is a video here that show how to replace it. You can get a replacement bulb at somewhere like Repco or SupaCheap.

Good luck with it.

Ian.

just wondering if it could have been fuse?

Can you actually replace it with the bluish xenon light, this is reflective non projector too bright maybe? Surely there is a dimmer one
also what about the high beams do u need to match it with bluish xenon like if your lower beam is bluish? It's clearer than the yellow.

Is it legal for you to put non yellow bulb?

what if it was the fuse? How do u find out? without touching the bulb?
IS this 55 W?

U need to replace both at once? I watched the you tube, looks easy from the video but is it?

Do you drive with the lights on, or is it using DRLs?

Reason I aks is that Mrs Dijon's former 207 used to blow 3 or 4 H7s a year. Her 208 has DRLs so the headlights are off, and in 2 years we have not heard a peep from them.

I guess that we still have a few years to go before we find out. Sorry I can't help you about changing, never had to.

My model is active it does not have DRL and I never use Headlights in lieu of DRL I wished I had DRL
So I do not know if members here have any idea it's H7 that how much I know I will read the owners Manual I just want to get an idea what the prices are and it looks easy in the video but watching you tube and doing it are 2 different things.

and it looks lie you have to replace them in pairs to get even lighting

Members may be pleased to know I have last night ordered a myriad of bulbs from UK and I will change the bulbs myself when it arrives. I have decided to change the side parkers, the hi beams and the normal driving light, this despite only 1 bulb went out.
Well, it's been since July 2014 and the bulbs have probably ran its course whch is a pretty good run. Rather than replace 1 bulb at a time, I decided to do all 6 ( 3 pairs) and I bought the less yellowish light ( but still road legal as they are halogen but pseudo with semi-white glow) as my Pugsy is non telescopic but reflective, I have to get something not too bright as they do get very bright on reflectives.

Members may be pleased to know I have last night ordered a myriad of bulbs from UK and I will change the bulbs myself when it arrives. I have decided to change the side parkers, the hi beams and the normal driving light, this despite only 1 bulb went out.
Well, it's been since July 2014 and the bulbs have probably ran its course whch is a pretty good run. Rather than replace 1 bulb at a time, I decided to do all 6 ( 3 pairs) and I bought the less yellowish light ( but still road legal as they are halogen but pseudo with semi-white glow) as my Pugsy is non telescopic but reflective, I have to get something not too bright as they do get very bright on reflectives.

Good plan :)

well silly me I went to the you tube to watch how it's done like members said,

All I can say is: deception

The video showed the bulb change was for the RHS as you are sitting in the drivers seat and believe me the LHS is a chapter from the bible.

Just take a look at the difference: RHS see how much space you have to remove the milo plastic cap and do your thing.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmeQXxpvCPg-hONkk1-ziWCPQyxm0Q

Now look at the LHS where it was not shown anywhere in videos, see that black box blocking everything you simply cannot remove the milo plastic cap let alone insert a fragile thing holding it horizontally. Members may be able to explain how this black box thing that apparently has symbols that say no water!!

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmeQXxpvCPg-hONmOnPGqI9rgyfdTQ

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmeQXxpvCPg-hONlO7VKL9tDJZPfkQ

just watched IWS linked video indeed that was the fuse box but then the other fuse box under steering wheel also says headlamps
how on earth do you move that out of the way and put back like it was not touched since last christmas?

I've replaced both globes in the 208 - I don't recall it being much of a drama, although of course one of the clips did let go. This is coming from someone who's had to work in very tight spaces for many years, so it's hard to gauge someone else's manual dexterity :)

The little clip that secures the headlight in place are the most "drama" of the experience and it's vital you don't lose them as they can disappear very easily. Gently unhook the one side and swing them out of the way - try not to remove them altogether as it's very hard to put them back in by feel.

It's important to remember it's your hand that has to be in there, not your head. The hardest part is usually removing the electrical connector, as they are often very tight to remove from the globe pins.

I don't think you need to bother replacing the high beams until one of them lets go, then replace the pair.

the fuse box will have to be removed as it is in the way question is how to?

If low beams were whitish blue and hi beam were yellow then Houston I think we have a problem, at least visually if not a pink slip issue

Members may be pleased to know for an update that for whatever the reasons, the following happened:

1. The 6 bulbs I purchased online being low beam high beam and side light has not even arrived yet and it seemed 3 weeks have passed.
Have written like 3 times finally got a reply from this supposedly reputable place from UK there will be a delay of 1 month due to customs in Australia.

2. My Pug LHS light suddenly came back on after driving in that heavy rain on Sunday here in Sydney, how strange was that?

Could it be that whilst they were fixing the coolant issue last month they may have somehow 'tripped' a wire or 2?

Last edited:
That confined left side space is common to most small cars. You have to do it by feel, since you can't lower your head to see what you are doing. It helps me to use a torch and a small mirror to study the job first,, particularly to note the clip removal and replacement. I usually wish I had extra finger joints. Sometimes a tool like a small multigrip or long nose pliers helps. The bulb may go into a tube inside the light, which should not be bent. If that happens, the bulb isn't seated properly in the holder.

A possible cause of the failure and sudden restoration is a poor earth return and it may have been at the bulb socket..

Sheeples Peeps may be quite curious to see the low beam and high beam plus what I thought was front side parkers bulbs have arrived from the UK on Friday just past, it took more than about 1 month all up from order to delivery and I paid extra for tracking but by no means it is DHL just your run of the mill Royal Mail tracking. In fact the tracking was not detail the first track was ready to depart from warehouse (in UK) then the next line, out for delivery in Sydney. Nothing in between for a month! And they call this tracking.

So now I need to source the expert labour handiwork to put it in and that is where members' expertise knowhow knowledge comes in - now that I have the part, it should not be tedious for someone who is experienced to put it in, like I have said before, not that I cannot do it but the left hand side is challenging as there's very little wriggle room for an amateur/rookie plus it looks like it may require removal and put it back some thingos objects.

So here are the things I waited ( BTW I checked we don't have this Osram made in Germany bulbs here All I see locally is Larva Narva left right and centre )

Check out here and here and here and here and here

cannot wait for my little Pug to get fresh new set of German shimmering eyes!

Last edited: