207 HDi Clutch DMF to SMF and DPF question.

LukeK_GT

Fellow Frogger
Hi Guys
So my 207 HDi Lemans has a slipping clutch between 1600 to 2000 RPM on uphills under more than say 50% throttle in 3rd 4th or 5th gear. Can also do it on a flat road if hooning, which is rare for me in this car.
It's quite obvious when it happens as the revs just raise from 1600 to about 2100 very rapidly, then settle back at 1800 to 1900.
It has had this minor annoyance since I bought it with 72000kms, but now has almost 130000kms.
It has not really got much worse as I have driven around the issue but I probably should have it fixed before it becomes a breakdown.

So now the expensive part.
As 207 HDi's have a DMF it will be a whole lot more pricey as I will need a fly wheel for the clutch job.
I am debating whether to go down the SMF route instead for cost reasons and future serviceability. I have no plan to ever get rid of this car so long term serviceability and costs is a consideration for me.

Can any one here who has changed to a SMF weigh in on if there is really any noticeable NVH increase with the change of fly wheel?
I wouldn't exactly call the current setup silky and quiet anyway compared to other light diesel passenger cars..

I am also considering getting the car remapped as well, so the increase in torque may be a problem for the DMF from my readings.
Can anyone here confirm this?

Now in regards to the change of the clutch, I have read that the DPF canister has to be removed to access one of transmission bolts.
Is this really the case?
If it has to come out I may as well get it cleaned down the road at one of the local truck places in Wetherill Park or Smithfield.

In all honesty, my mechanic will do the clutch work, but I'd still like to know what is involved.

Bump

Really, no one has done a DMF to SMF clutch replacement on a 207 HDi?

How about any 1.6 HDi Citroen or Peugeot?

When I did the clutch on the 308 RHR I replaced DMF with DMF. I had planned on keeping the car so wanted to maintain the smooth driving associated with the DMF.

When I removed the old clutch I found that the clutch itself was quite ok, but the flywheel was toast. I might have got away with just replacing the flywheel, but it's of those ''while you've got it apart replace it type of jobs'' where you just replace everything anyway.

I ran the onboard test of the DPF on our 308 prior to this and found that it reported back as being 3% blocked - so I wouldn't just go blasting through the DPF unless you're having issues with it. A lot of this has to do with your regular driving patterns and whether you're triggering the cleaning cycle correctly. If you do a lot of short city trips it might need a manual clean otherwise leave it alone.

I think if you're not troubled by the refinement of the driving experience go for the SMF, otherwise stay with the DMF.

Cheers

Justin

I did a bit of research when I replaced my 407hdi clutch at around 155k. Went with OEM DMF as I figured it was worth sticking with what it was designed for, and a few testimonials online suggested this was the best way. I only owned the car a further 15k but was able to sell it with the assurance it had the correct equipment installed. I may have saved a few dollars if I’d converted to SMF, but as there were a few reports of issues with smf on these motors decided against it.
I am currently driving a Nissan that came equipped with a DMF... I converted that to SMF When I replaced the clutch 100k ago (around 200k) At the time, the research I did was clearly stating that those cars were well suited to SMF. No regrets with the decisions I made in either of those cars. Do your research and make a decision based on what you find and your requirements.
One thing I will say though, the 407 has a tow bar... as does the Nissan... I was always hesitant to tow with the 407, as I was worried about loading the DMF and only towed with it in situations where there was no other vehicle available. The Nissan is not a great tow car, but as it now has a single mass flywheel I feel no guilt towing anything it is physically capable of pulling.