207 GTI - Radiator Fan stays on after

Topaz

Fellow Frogger
Hi guys,

After doing an upper engine clean with Subaru SA459 I now have an issue where the radiator fan likes to stay on for ages after the car is turned off. I had to call the RAC after doing the clean because the fan dropped the battery voltage too low to start the car! This has never happened before, even through summer!

I found a fuse diagram in the handbook but it says the fan assembly is controlled by a 70A 'Maxifuse' in the engine bay fuse box.... I couldn't see a 70A fuse and I presume the Maxifuse is the relay looking things with the large securing clips...

Anyway, if I can ask for some direction to sort this out it'd be appreciated.

Cheers
Tom

Generally the fans will stay on when an engine fault mode is registered like depol fault as a fail-safe.

This is quite common when seafoaming (or SA459) the inlets. Clearing the fault codes (either with PP or a generic ELM cable) makes it go away if there is no ongoing fault and it was just caused by the cleaning process.

Is there an error code on the centre display at start up or the usual annoying beep ?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using aussiefrogs mobile app

As well as the comment above, the fan stays on when the engine needs a carbon clean, even if there isn't a specific message on the display. Misfiring will do it.

I but I have cleared 'intake air system leak' once but it didn't come back. No other error codes
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/p2279-obd-ii-trouble-code-intake-air-system-leak-by-jay-safford

The oil and water temps are normal. I took out the 70A maxifuse and, of course, the fan didn't run. Put it back and the fan runs for about 6 minutes after turning the car off.

I found the plug for the fan power behind the radiator but not the green relays, which are in front of the radiator??

To check for misfires, I disconnected the coilpacks after doing the SA459 clean (one by one with the car running) and I have a new set of spark plugs to go in soon + oil and filter change I guess (last done in September)

If you run the car with coils disconnected it will definitely misfire, which allows unburnt fuel to "poison" the cat converter. That alone will be detected by the oxygen sensors and the fan will do its extended thing. Run the engine normally and check for misfiring by feeling for a pulse or puffing in the tailpipe gas.

Subaru/Nulon etc can't get off really baked on oil ash residue, and improper combustion could be caused by that, and detected. Do you have codes available, or even better, Diagbox? How many km on the clock?

There's no codes at the moment but I'm sure the P2279 one will come back. I had a listen to the engine last night and there is definitely a loud hissing or sucking from the PCV hose so I've either damaged it or not clipped it on properly. Is that a big job to change/fix?

I only had an OBDII scanner, nothing more sophisticated. There's 90,000 on the clock.

Battery was flat again this morning from running the fan after the engine was shutdown. It does it every time so I only get about 4 on/offs and the battery needs charging again... Not good for the battery, probably needs a new one as well.

P2279 is an intake air leak. An old fashioned way to search for it is to put one end of a small tube in your ear, and poke around with the other end until you find the hiss location. If you disconnected the tube at the driver's end of the separator, it should be a simple squeeze and snap back. This fitting is opened by squeezing the ring on the sides and the distortion gets the lock off. It is a simple replacement, but the rearmost end is difficult to access under the air filter at the gearbox side.

90,000 is sufficient for the engine to need a carbon clean. Sprays postpone the day, but don't eliminate it. There is a recent thread on this. Can you read the outputs from the exhaust oxygen sensors? Easy with electronics, but Diagbox will tell you via the computer. Crud inlet build-up has no codes or signals until combustion errors start to occur.

I never have any bloody luck with cars and it's always electrical! I changed the SMG pump DC motor and the alternator on my E46 M3 last year, my motorbike engine light came on the a couple of weeks ago but I've had to charge the battery in that every 2 weeks or so and I bought this GTI as a daily that I wouldn't have to worry too much about except maintenance! damnit, hahah :p

I've just taken out my intake system piping and air filter. The rubber intake hose connected to the turbo was corroded and just split off so I've ordered the Forge silicon intake.

Also, who do I contact in Perth to get the PCV delete caps? I notice the Peugeot dealer at 468 Albany Hwy, Vic Park is just a car lot... Is that the right place?

The Peugeot parts place is actually in the Nissan service area, on the opposite side of the road, adjacent to Youngs.

Install the PCV delete caps and the Forge intake today and I have the same issue with the radiator fan.

WTF is it?

Also, where is this extra hole supppose to connect to?
figyCFo.jpg