207 GTI low fuel pressure

sandman

Tadpole
Hello Froggers,

I've got a May 2007 built 207GTI with an unhappy engine. Problems have been intermittent for some months, usually involving very rough running with very low power and a depollution fault warning a few minutes after a cold start. Most of the time these problems have resolved with a quick reboot; ignition off, on again, and away we go (so I concluded that the dreaded cam-timing error was not to blame)....sometimes I don't even have to stop, just keep rolling in neutral and turn it off and back on again.

In the past week things have gotten much less happy, with extremely rough running under acceleration loads and generally reduced power. It will actually cruise at 80 or 100kmh, but getting there must be done very gently indeed.

I had it checked on a Peugeot Planet diagnostic rig today by Canberra's well regarded Bill McNamee, and it came back with a swag of historical errors, none of which looked like an obvious cause of the problem. We cleared the faults went around the block a few times, and it ran rough-as-guts under acceleration, but did not report a new fault.

We noticed what appear to be some low pressures in the fuel system. There were two values reported, one was called (I think) the Fuel System Reference Pressure (or something like that), and it was bouncing around 50bar, but dropped quite low (15-20bar) when under acceleration. A second reported value was called (I think) the Fuel Rail Pressure and it was pretty steady around 8bar. There did also seem to be a bit of a rough sound from the fuel pump under the back seats.

Has anyone encountered anything like this before? I have found a few posts on other forums mentioning 207 GTI fuel pump failures. Does anyone know if this is how they present? Are there sensors in the fuel delivery system which might also be playing up? I would like to try and avoid the replace-and-see method of problem resolution, as I am on a student budget, so any brilliant diagnostic tips would be very welcome.

Cheers,

Sandman

I've seen the same problem on direct injection BMW's and being that the 207 engine was designed in conjunction with BMW, I expect it's the same operating system.

Very low power, pollution fault and trouble accellerating means it's in limp mode, which is why you can reset it and it goes away.

The first thing i do when looking at fault codes is check the odometer so that I have a reference with which to compare the faults that are logged. This will give you a reference as to which codes are current as old fault codes can be stored seemingly for eternity, even if you clear them.

From my experience, I doubt it's the low pressure pump in the tank. Most likely an injector that is leaking/over-fuelling, secondly a crook direct injection pump. That's as much as i'll elaborate on a public forum.

Both cases require replacement and you will probably find that you won't have waranty provided on replacement injectors if the pump isn't replaced too.

It's highly unlikely that it's a faulty sensor. Sensors made this millenium are exceptionally reliable.

You will have difficulty finding someone who actually knows how to diagnose this without stuffing it up and leaving you to replace parts in anycase and then not knowing how to get the replacement parts to run properly after install.

Direct injection turbocharged petrol engines are much more expensive in upkeep than conventional petrol engines.

HP fuel pumps have definitely been an issue on a few 207s and MINIs. It's driven off the inlet cam.

Have you looked into checking the fuel filter or a possible old/tired battery?

Thanks for your replies,
Bluey its not in limp mode currently, as everything has been reset, but it is running badly, mainly on acceleration. I think your HP fuel pump / injectors hypothesis sounds very plausible.
Kaza1 thanks for the link - do you know any part numbers for a HP fuel pump for a May '07 207 GTI by any chance? Is there a website to get such numbers from?
Thanks SLC206 - embarassingly I cant even find the darn fuel filter.

also possibly a fuel leak on the low pressure side.
It might be a good idea to check for this before you go spending money on parts that may or may not fix the problem.
O-ring in the quick connections are common to leak.

Thanks SLC206 - embarassingly I cant even find the darn fuel filter.
The fuel filter is a black plastic-looking canister near the l/h rear wheel. I've attached a photo.

The fuel filter is, of course, just a suggestion. As it's done 90k, mine has been replaced twice. I have no idea what the maintenance has been like on your car.

fuelfilter.JPG

This video is interesting: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gfAyti805GE

Athough a mini, would have applicability to the pug. Can you hook up the car to diagnostic equipment to get the live fuel rail pressure? On the mini, 5 bar is required - would be similar for the pug I would imagine. May give you an indication of whether fuel pressure is low.

the lift pump(in tank) must supply 5 bar pressure to the HP pump with ignition on. running at idle, injector rail pressure must remain between 37-42 bar, and under full load injector rail pressure must remain between 106-110 bar. you obviously need access to diag equipment that can read and display live data... so you might need to visit your local friendly nieghbourhood Pug dealer...
hope it helps.

yeah it should do, usually the only functions they cant perform is programing and downloading.

Sorry to bump an old thread.

My 207 GTI turns over but won't start, I have checked all the fuses relating to starting and the fuel pump and they are all fine.

The fuel pump primes when the ignition is switched on but it runs for about 10-15 seconds before it stops.

I have Error P0342 which points to the camshaft position sensor (I have just ordered a new one)

Question: Who in Perth can run the test in the video above to check HPFP pressure?