207 gti full maintenance list before power upgrades

Ols04

Fellow Frogger
I'll be looking into going straight to a stage 3 tune for my 2007 model 207 gti. It has 100,000km with good maintenance history.

I want to make sure the engine is running perfect and usual gremlins sorted before doing any of that. From my research I'm thinking of the following maintenance.

- Intake valves cleaned
- Check and replace hydraulic chain tensioner (no rattle but is this a good idea preemptively?)
- Check engine timing for LTFT
- Check o2 sensors
- Check and clean 2x pressure sensors
- Oil change using Total Quartz Ineo 0w30
- Spark plugs replaced platinum gapped to 6mm

What should I be paying for the above work? I know what the basic service and checkup cost will be. But things like intake valve clean and replacement of hydraulic chain tensioner could soneone please advice how much this would be and if there's anything else I should be looking into first?

Add air & fuel filters to your list, otherwise looking comprehensive. Might be an idea to have your tuner supply, gap & fit the spark plugs incase they have a different preference of plugs.

Will do thanks. Also going to give the transmission an oil change too.

Does anyone know what I should be paying for a new hydraulic chain tensioner would be fitted?

The chain isn't rattling yet so must be in decent condition, just thought maybe the tensioner would be good idea now if it's not too expensive before it damages the chain.

Just an update had it checked out today, so the car is rattling and will need a new timing chain and all the other things along with it. They're also gonna run a clean or spray something through the engine at the same time to clean it out.

Car should be in top condition after that so it is a bit of a hit but will be great after to modify it without any doubts about the health of the engine.

Mods that will be fitted straight after are;
MTC itake kit
V-maxx 50mm lowered springs
Hubcentric spacers 15mm front and 20mm rear
Muffler delete for now (full exhaust later with a tune)

I hope your death rattle isn't as bad as mine turned out :p

There are videos on YouTube by Mini Adeventure and 2guys2minis (or something) that I found useful... Ya know, if you want to tackle it yourself.

Hi,

Its been covered elsewhere on Aussiefrogs but the THP engines can suffer from the coking up issue described in the link below
https://www.peugeotcentral.co.uk/ftopic-38378.html . Have a look at the pics on that link.

The 'spray' that they mention above is likely the SA459 Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner that seems to be the product of choice that most people use although there are similar products on the market.
The THP/Mini/BMW direct injection engines seemed to be at the bleeding edge of direct injection technology and now people are left with this issue to deal with at great cost sometimes.
Hope that helps.