207 battery charge or electrical supply faulty msg

lippo

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi guys

Wife has a 2010 207 5dr. Car drives and operates fine until after 2 minutes of driving, the battery light comes on and the battery charge or electrical supply faulty msg comes up on the mfd. Then the A/C stops working and just blows hot air and the steering feels slightly heavier. It has a new battery and the alternator is charging. Is this a common problem or any idea what is causing this issue?

Cheers, Steve

No idea.

Just shooting in the dark, but modern cars have all sorts of monitoring systems that may detect the voltage drop on the battery (or alternator for that matter) when loads cut in and out and throw a fault message or take other measures if they detect a problem to mitigate it.

Have you tried not running the A/C and got the same message/behaviour? If no, it's probably worth a try.

If you try it and no more message pops up I would suggest it is possible the A/C compressor clutch may be drawing excessive current. It is also possible a section of the alternator rectifier is out and when a serious load is applied the voltage sags significantly.

Try running the engine and with a voltmeter on the battery engage the A/C and check the voltage drop if any.

Hope this helps.

The computer is receiving an electrical system error and acting to preserve you from something worse. The nastiest thing would be to lose electric power steering. Most PSA models have an electronic battery sensor mounted on the battery post to measure current, voltage and temperature as part of computer management. You can read about the device and check if you have one at https://www.bosch-mobility-solutions.com/en/solutions/sensors/electronic-battery-sensor/ The computer also has information on alternator charge rate.

You will have to read the OBD port computer error codes. You can buy a cheap reader for about $50, or some retail places like Supercheap provide this service. Always note all codes, then clear them and reread to remove ancient history, Once the codes are known proper diagnosis can begin.

Hi guys

Wife has a 2010 207 5dr. Car drives and operates fine until after 2 minutes of driving, the battery light comes on and the battery charge or electrical supply faulty msg comes up on the mfd. Then the A/C stops working and just blows hot air and the steering feels slightly heavier. It has a new battery and the alternator is charging. Is this a common problem or any idea what is causing this issue?

Cheers, Steve
Where in Newcastle are you I can help out pm me it’s just a 1.6 petrol I’m assuming

Super offer lippo. Accept it.

Unfortunately for a new member you may not have messaging ability yet. If you click on dmccurtayne's avatar there is a Conversation button.

Super offer lippo. Accept it.

Unfortunately for a new member you may not have messaging ability yet. If you click on dmccurtayne's avatar there is a Conversation button.
Yep Dave knows his stuff.

Just place a few messages here to get your count up so that you can PM.

Thanks guys. To me, it seemed like it was something telling the ecu that the battery is not getting charged properly. This is the first car i've had with the battery sensor system so its a learning experience.

Hi Dave. Thanks for the offer. Yes its 1.6 petrol. Im in wallsend, but i dont have permission yet to msg you yet. I will send a pm as soon as im allowed

Keep posting so you can message Dave. He's a professional and the offer is valuable.

When changing a battery, remember that the computer is always ON, monitoring doors, remote locking, etc. If you abruptly take out a battery it is similar to pulling the plug on a home computer - it invites trouble.

Shut the doors, and wait a while for the computer to stabilise in its resting state before disconnecting. After you change the battery, wait again for the system to reboot and set itself up for monitoring before you do anything. It will be mentioned in the car handbook. We have had some amazing things mentioned here when the computer gets really cocked up.

Hi guys

Cheers, Steve
Hi I have exactly the same issue, chasing and update/solution to this madness! new here so unable to message anyone but happy to provide an email

Where in Newcastle are you I can help out pm me it’s just a 1.6 petrol I’m assuming
Hi dave, I cannot seem to be able to start a conversation - as said above I have exactly the same issue, could you please offer some insight to what you discovered with lippos machine?

Welcome noeliepoli. You'll have to be more active for a while.

Because forums get plagued by pests signing up, it takes a few posts before new members get more than simple posting privileges. This makes it easier for the mods to eradicate nuisances and advertisers.

No worries so if I just write I here a few more times this should take care of the restrictions?

AC and cruise control shutting off when a fault arises is the normal response to a variety of fault codes. Do you know if it has any fault codes recorded? That may help you work out where a fault lies - as your mechanic, NRMA or even Supercheap to check. Does it have a battery voltage monitor on the -ve terminal? That can fail and there may be a related fault code.

Hey David, I don't have the errors on hand but my ob2 scanner gave the exact same codes as the auto electrician found. Alienator shows fine voltage, battery near new - I've been prodding in the dark for almost 2 months now, just need lippo to say 'it was the A/C compressor or something to narrow down this madness"

Can you use the scanner again to tell us the code numbers? They are the only clue we have if anyone here beside David can help. All sorts of things can get shut down if the computer is protecting a system that is faulting.