207 1.6 hdi EGR valve

David D

Tadpole
Hi guys

I bought a 206 Le Mans (1.6 hdi) earlier this year and I’m having some issues.....

After having it serviced, it was discovered that the glow plugs and EGR valve needed replacement. A few days after they were replaced, the ‘depollution system fault’ came up.
There turned out to be several fault codes related to the EGR valve.
P1162 EGR solenoid sticking
P0408 EGR solenoid fails to meet programmed position
P0406 EGR valve circuit high
P0490 EGR valve circuit closed more than reference value
The valve is a Magneti Marelli part. Has anyone else had trouble with using non-genuine parts like this?
I bought it overseas and thought it was a good price for a good brand but it’s beginning to look like I should have just paid for the Valeo one.
I’ve decided to book it in for a new EGR valve but I’d welcome any thoughts or others’ experiences.

Cheers

David

Yep I never fit the mm ones I was burnt to many times just make sure the pipe isn’t loose near that v band clamp

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

You did reset it with a diagnostic tool ?

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

It was fitted by a mechanic and I took it back after the warning light came on. They tried a couple more times to do a ‘re-learn’ but it still kept going into fault. Since then, it’s been to an auto electrician and another mechanic for further diagnostics.
I’m thinking I need to rule out the EGR valve before spending more on more diagnostics.

Yes definitely

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Just in case anyone is following this, I have had the EGR valve replaced with a French one and the ‘depollution system fault’ has not since re-appeared. The mechanic did, however, say there was still one of the fault codes remaining. The car is running better but this hasn’t eliminated the intermittent rough idle issue I hoped it would.
I still have a leaky injector seal and exhaust leak to address but I’ll save those for another thread.....

Cheers

David