206 GTI 180 Fuel leak

Getting off the track here. At 22 years old, I could put it on club plates a few years from now. One aspect that worries me are the number of "new fangled" electronic gizmos, pipes and stuff on a D9 406. I look under the bonnet and I don't know what everything does, unlike 504s ( and prior models) which I had a lot more confidence with.

Still off the track. One of the most complex looking underbonnets was the 505 with the overhead cam, distributor, emission control, and all-mechanical K Jetronic. That makes modern stuff look simple.

peugeot 505 engine.jpg

The new engines no longer use various mechanical feedbacks but instead are run by a computer responding to inputs from sensors. Learn what each sensor does and you are nearly there. The computers at least record error codes which is an improvement over yesteryear.

Last edited:
I had to replace a pump on my 180 a few years ago. Hardest part was that locking ring removal. Dont use a screwdriver and hammer method as the plastic ring can easily break. There is a 'ring removal tool' that moves them.
I didnt have to drop the tank - just access inside under the rear seat.

Got me thinking - does the tank only deform if it has 50kg of fuel in it? Why not empty the tank if possible and then replace the pump or do the Sika or glue repair.