206 1.4 accessory belt

renault8&10

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
What’s the secret to changing the accessory belt on these engines?
I’ve battled for two hours without luck.

Every time I get close it seems the socket on the tensioner bolt slips. Any tips?

So, anyone with experience in this near the western suburbs (SYD) want to earn a carton of beer this weekend helping me fit this sucker?

2003 P206 XR with PS and Aircon.

I have a Gates 6PK-1560 belt which is supposedly the right one.

Kevin

Thankfully it’s done. An anonymous AF Good Samaritan came over and between the two of us we managed to get it done.
Thank you Sir, you know who you are.

I am very appreciative.
I won’t be planning that again in a while without figuring out a special tool. As for changing it by the side of the road - I think it will be tilt tray time!

The trick is to lock it in the relax position when you take the belt off, even if you are going to replace the pulley.
The pulley is replaceable depends on the tensioner type and the bolt LH thread.

Cheers Berridale.
Good to know for next time. I have the type of tensioner that you can’t slacken off unless you lever it back against the spring. And yes the pulley is held on with a left handed thread 13mm bolt. We did end up partially jamming it in the slackened position, then levered it the last final bit to slip the belt over the next pulley below.

Access was so much easier when the front end was off the car the last time I did it!