205SI supplement (Injection)

Selekta

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi all,

I have several questions and things about the 205SI's injection system, location of sensors, how it all interacts, etc.

A workshop manual would have all the info I need, but I can't find much on the SI, or even Euro spec 205 Auto (same injection system)

Is there a source for this information? Doesn't need to be a free source. Haynes is no good. "The location of the coolant temperature sensor could be: anywhere"

Last edited:
Coolant temperature sensor is on the back of the alloy housing at the back of the head... on an si I think there are 2:.. one for the efi and one for the gauge. The fan is controlled by one on the radiator. There is a TDC sensor that goes off the flywheel and can be found on top of he bell housing and picks up TDC info. As the injection is single point and the ignition is wasted spark it only requires TDC sensor so there is no can sensor. Other sensors to mention are map (runs off tube in front of manifold and bolts to bonnet latch panel), TPS in throttle body, and oxy sensor on exhaust down pipe. It's a pretty compact system where the ecu controls both single point injector and the wasted spark ignition. Ignition module is incorperatd in the ecu too.

Euro spec auto is carby.
The XU5Mz (or BDY) engine was probably used more in 405s I think. May be in in a 405 handbook.

Hi all,

I have several questions and things about the 205SI's injection system, location of sensors, how it all interacts, etc.

A workshop manual would have all the info I need, but I can't find much on the SI, or even Euro spec 205 Auto (same injection system)

Is there a source for this information? Doesn't need to be a free source. Haynes is no good. "The location of the coolant temperature sensor could be: anywhere"

Euro spec auto is carby, except maybe for the later models.
The XU5Mz (or BDY) engine was probably used more in 405s I think. May be in in a 405 handbook.

Hi all,

Yeah it's in the 405 Haynes manual I have a copy of section 4B

XU5 (BDZ and BDY) engine . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Magneti Marelli G5 single-point
XU5 (BDY) engine . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Magneti Marelli G6 single-point
TU3 (KDX) and XU9 (DDZ) engine . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Solex Fenix 1B single-point
TU3 (KDX) engine . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Bosch Monotronic MA3.0 single-point

The PDF is 9.22Mb so I might be able to email it?

Coolant temperature sensor
25 Refer to Chapter 3.

Coolant temperature sensor -
fuel injection models
Testing
22 The fuel injection system coolant
temperature sensor is screwed into the
thermostat housing, which is bolted onto the
left-hand end of the cylinder head.
23 The sensor is a thermistor (see paragraph
12). The fuel injection/engine management
electronic control unit (ECU) supplies the
sensor with a set voltage and then, by
measuring the current flowing in the sensor
circuit, it determines the engine’s
temperature. This information is then used, in
conjunction with other inputs, to control the
injector opening time (pulse width). On some
models, the idle speed and/or ignition timing
settings are also temperature-dependent.
24 If the sensor circuit should fail to provide
adequate information, the ECU’s back-up
facility will override the sensor signal. In this
event, the ECU assumes a predetermined
setting which will allow the fuel
injection/engine management system to run,
albeit at reduced efficiency. When this occurs,
the warning light on the instrument panel will
come on, and the advice of a Peugeot dealer
should be sought. The sensor itself can only
be tested using special Peugeot diagnostic
equipment. Do not attempt to test the circuit
using any other equipment, as there is a high
risk of damaging the ECU.

Thanks for the information - My coolant sensor has now been swapped over.

Quick question - What's the disconnected thing sitting on the front of the engine block, directly above the oil filter?

Gozb6lx.jpg

Dash doesn't have one of those, so makes sense that it's not hooked up.

Weird inclusion, a bit more expensive than a blanking plate

Most likely connected to the STOP engine light though. No gauge but it does have a purpose.

yes, check your oil level, make sure valve guides not leaking and definitely do not go near dodgy filthy stealing iranian p1ece of sh1t so called mechanics at this stage.

Only just had the head rebuilt to fix those guides :)

Issue is my dipstick tube is not sealing against the engine block properly, making a bloody mess of things.

Dash doesn't have one of those, so makes sense that it's not hooked up.

Weird inclusion, a bit more expensive than a blanking plate

Nope, it's an oil pressure warning light (idiot light) sender. It should be connected, the dash has the corresponding light. If I remember correctly there was a blue connector (spade) on mine, but that doesn't necessarily say that yours should be blue as well. Look around the engine bay, you should find it if it wasn't cut.

Only just had the head rebuilt to fix those guides :)

Issue is my dipstick tube is not sealing against the engine block properly, making a bloody mess of things.

Pull it out, expand it a little with a rod of appropriate size with a bit of taper on the leading end, and stick it back in with some Loctite 648 or such. Most likely your tube is out of round.

Nope, it's an oil pressure warning light (idiot light) sender. It should be connected, the dash has the corresponding light. If I remember correctly there was a blue connector (spade) on mine, but that doesn't necessarily say that yours should be blue as well. Look around the engine bay, you should find it if it wasn't cut.

Huh. I've looked everywhere, I can't find it. The spade connector looks as if nothing has been connected for a looooong time.

what's the cylinder directly next to it used for?

The idiot light turns on when the cars off then turns off when the motor cranks over... if it was disconnected, would the light be permanently on or off?