205 XUD7 non turbo, diesel stalling very weird

205luv

Fellow Frogger
Hello people
Got a slight mysterious problem here . I start the engine and it runs fine , drive up the road then going down hill i move the gear stick to neutral (manual box) with engine still ticking over on the move , then the engine suddenly cuts out ?. I attempt to start it by engaging gears and also the ignition key and it doesnt want to know , after several attempts going down hill it starts . The engine will also have a kind of power surge from time to time after ive been tickling the accelerator peddle , like its suddenly got turbo boost or nitrous injection, then a few seconds later it will revert to a placid diesel again ???.
It stalled on the road too and i had to get out and squeeze the pump primer bulb to get it going again .
On tick over it will have a kind of hunting every now and again .
So is there something amiss in the fuel supply or filter or pump . There is no black smoke or anything visible from the exhaust .
I looked at the fuel filter pot and there appears to be a slight fuel leak from the base where there is a recessed white plastic cross , i cant find any info or engineering drawings on an xud7 fuel filter pot , is there something i should know about this item.

Any help appreciated please .

Air in the fuel system will give the symptoms you have described, fix this break in the fuel line as it is the point where air is being sucked in. Fuel being drawn in is under a negative pressure and any break in the line will result in air coming in.

Or fit a low pressure pump near the tank and have the fuel under positive pressure, you will have a fuel leak at this time.

Good luck.

There aren't any diesel 205s in Australia. The last non turbo Diesel here was the 504 and 505 in 1981.

There aren't any diesel 205s in Australia. The last non turbo Diesel here was the 504 and 505 in 1981.

There are a handful of private import cars. I owned an 1986 White 3 door 205 XRD for a while, I would love to find it again.

Thanks for the help and advice and the story . Will check the fuel lines .

If you ever come across the XUD engine in OZ .
Follow on to mysterious stalling , i finally could,nt understand the problem then out of curiosity i dont know why i thiught about the construction of the fuel filter pot sitting atop the aluminium heater housing ie the big black fuel filter housing at the front right of the engine , i saw fluid between the pot and ali so gently pushed the pot with my finger and saw the fluid move , virtually imperceptible movement , it was then i realized between the plastic and ali there is a O-ring seal !!! . So that,s it i reckon, going to have to replace it for sure .

You will find seals shrinking with the ULSD Utra Low Sulphur Diesel) fuel, to lower pollution, it also removes the one material the seals needed, typical automotive design. Then again they did no have fancy fluoroelastomers (which is what you need), BunaN or Viton for you. Your injection pump willl be next if not already, the system sounds just similar to an xud9 at this stage.

Thanks for the reply and info then .
Oh, so it could need an overhaul then of the whole fuel system in the future. So cleaner fuels contain less chemicals .
Sounds like it would be better on vege oil and not petroleum based . Dont know how that would sit with the tech inspection here in Spain , they think someone who fixes their own car has two heads because there is no real community of DIY here , they all take em to a garage even for menial work hence no one learns and their all under the boot, forget hot rods and engine swaps !.

Vege oil is another issue it will coke and cake the engine internals and varnish the pump eventually, removes wear however, unless done perfectly. Biodiesel is a good choice however it will dissolve rubber seals. there must be a product that swells the fuel pump seals, they exist for power steering and oil seals?

I bypassed the standard fuel filter assembly on my xud9 completely to get me home one day and that patch has been in place ever since. Way too much complexity in the standard filter housing for my liking and too many places to track down air leaks. A few $$ for some spare hose, clamps and little inline filter has solved the problem.

HERE WAS A WHITE ONE IN THE HILLS ON WAY OUT OF CRESWICK.THINK THE OWNER WORKED AT BALLARAT HOSPITAL.

I left a note under wiper or such some 7 0r 8 years ago.

Xud7

Thanks for the reply and info then . Oh, so it could need an overhaul then of the whole fuel system in the future. So cleaner fuels contain less chemicals . Sounds like it would be better on vege oil and not petroleum based . Dont know how that would sit with the tech inspection here in Spain , they think someone who fixes their own car has two heads because there is no real community of DIY here , they all take em to a garage even for menial work hence no one learns and their all under the boot, forget hot rods and engine swaps !.
hello, I came across your post months after posting but I have an P205 with an XUD7. Your version sounds like the late version with the top hat diesel filter and hand pump, same as mine. its a fuel issue and very similar to my own experience.
I suggest two things. Refurb your diesel pump (sorry its hard to hear cause this is costly £300 plus shipping) and refurb your diesel filter (do this yourself carefully for about $2 all up).
it sounds like your little diesel pump is struggling. I had a similar problem but not as bad. my pump was really good, just got old and needed a refurb. this is normal. Mine is the Lucas DPC pump and some people talk them down versus the Bosch VE but mine is very good, I like it. The seals, orings etc just lose their bounce and the pump just goes downhill slowly. you get little leaks at the top first then others. and the pump is producing pressure to push the diesel thru to injectors and pulling the diesel thru from the tank. so its not real good to have it leaking and compromising the system.
so its gunna cost a bit but eventually you will need to get the pump refurbished. I suggest doing it now. It will last another 20years if its done well. I sent mine to Diesel Bob UK and would thoroughly recommend his workmanship. Iwanted to do it myself with a kit but you cant buy the toolset and maybe I was just kidding myself etc etc
I would totally recommend Diesel Bob in the UK
I would also recommend doing an overhaul of the top hat diesel filter (same as mine) that you describe. the little white plastic cross at the bottom has oring seals. after years of service they just need renewing, like anything. be careful when taking it out . and also, the large oring seal underneath the filter housing needs replacing. and put a new filter cartridge in it once done which come with a rubber ring seal for when the lid is screwed back down. I posted instructions about a year ago on this but cant navigate the site very well so your on your own finding it.
also check your lines, clamps etc with a bright torch inspection. its possible you accidentally cracked your fuel feed line somehow but unlikely. it comes up from underbody at the right firewall, thru the hand pump and across to the diesel filter.
If yours is an original diesel and not a conversion there should be no problem with the fuel pickup in the tank so dont go rooting around there like me unless you have to.