205 water pump tricks...

Selekta

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Replaced my water pump a few months ago, had a slow leak ever since :(

Finally got the time to rectify the issue.

Bought a brand new OEM seal, and am keen to not have to do this job again... again... not until the next timing belt, anyway.

Vc60cf2.jpg

Should I be using sealant or anything? Are there any tricks or tips or anything? I followed the manual the first time and ended up with the leak, so keen to not do it again...

Yeah never had a genuine one leak in 20 odd years also I always put hylomar on both sides

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 505 GR xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

I use ThreeBond 1211. Never had a leak.

I don't use anything. Never had a leak.

But.

I always replace the pump when it comes away from the block with a new one. This happens at timing belt changes.

Looking at your pump I see the mating face is not exactly pristine. Maybe that is why.

That said I also endorse Threebond for any kind of leaks. Didn't have much luck with Hylomar.

Make sure it’s not the pump itself leaking. I’ve had a brand new pump leak within a few thousand kms. It wasn’t a cheap pump either. I replaced it with a QH and had no problems since.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs