205 gti- where is the air con thermostat situated ??

jr20516v

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Series 3 Google does not work for this...keeps coming up with engine thermostat.
I have a sneaking feeling it may be up in the passengers footwell but then again some cars have them near the evaporator.....cant see it at all.

Any tips ?

The air con thermostat or thermister is most often located in the evaporator coil.

If it a mechanical thermostat temperature adjustment is done by rotating the shaft on the bellows unit. Normally mounted outside the coil enclosure.

If it is a thermister there may be some adjustment by a trim pot in the control unit.

The air con thermostat or thermister is most often located in the evaporator coil.

If it a mechanical thermostat temperature adjustment is done by rotating the shaft on the bellows unit. Normally mounted outside the coil enclosure.

If it is a thermister there may be some adjustment by a trim pot in the control unit.

Great info there Rob....thx so much. Off i go for lookies.

Correct, dash out, airbox out and apart to get to it.

If you remove the centre vents and look down the hole with a bright torch you can see it. :)

If you need to replace the thermostat and it is readily adjustable. You can relocate it to the suction line (big pipe) as close as possible to coil. Wrap it with cork self amalgamating tape to keep ambient air off it. The temperature will be different but repeatable. So you need to adjust the thermostat.

This was the fix I used on Ford XE (?), which suffered from thermostat failures and to fit in the original place was dash out operation.

We could replace the thermostat sensing thermistor into the new position in around 30 minutes.

Series 3 GTi is just a name I came up with many years ago on AF, as nowhere else in the world (that I know of) were there three very different versions.

Series 3 GTi is just a name I came up with many years ago on AF, as nowhere else in the world (that I know of) were there three very different versions.

I agree Peter...... it is an easy way to describe though. The way i have always looked at it is this ..
series 1 =square dash 75kw engine

series 2 = round dash 75 kw engine

series 3 = round dash 92kw " "

It is purely a simple way of explaining 205's especially to the newbies....but you watch someone will now come along and say "but but what about xyz"

Can this air con thermosat be got out without so much hassle ? Surely one can get up and see it in the footwells... yes/no ?

No, can demonstrate if required. Will double check this weekend.