205 GTi sump spacers

ng850

Fellow Frogger
OK, I'm trying to untangle the situation with the sump spacer plates that have been used on some 205 GTi engines.

My limited understanding was when the D6B (130BHP engine) was released, it basically used the B6 block and added a sump spacer plate to provided clearance for the stroked crank.

The DFZ engine does not have a spacer plate so presumably it has a taller block to compensate?

Looking at the photo of a DKZ engine from a Classic, it does have the spacer plate.

Now what's got me a little stumped is I have been told by a European contact that he has an early (circa 1989) DKZ engine which does not have the spacer plate.

Any clues?

They're actually stiffener plates, that were used on later 205 and 405 engines, that had A/C. Thus every Australian delivered DKZ and DFW should have one.

In summary, a stiffener plate + later finned sump is equal in height to the earlier DFZ sump, pressed steel sumps and later XU10 A/C sumps.

Most UK cars didn't have A/C and this is why you will see sump gaskets in the gasket kits. They are for use on pressed steel sumps only.

Thanks, I think I understand. ;-)

So the DFZ wasn't required to have a 'stiffening' plate due to lower BHP or because it had an stronger alloy sump?

So is the aspect of the A/C due to positioning of compressors and such?

So the DFZ wasn't required to have a 'stiffening' plate due to lower BHP or because it had an stronger alloy sump?

So is the aspect of the A/C due to positioning of compressors and such?
Good question. I've never seen a DFZ with anything other than an alloy sump. Early D6B's had pressed steel sumps, so it can't be anything to do with power. All the A/C compressors are in exactly the same place. So I guess that made it easy when designing bits around it.

Pressed steel sumps use the stiffener plate, pretty sure (I'll check) that I use one on my XU10 iron block to get the right depth.

Yes, you're right Graham and the gasket goes between the pan and the spacer.