205 Gti Steering rack gaiter

pottsy

Citroen Loony & BMC Nutter.
VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
OK Brains Trust. Next question.

The steering rack has the remains of a gaiter that I assume used to cover the lower universal joint, between the firewall and the rack itself.

I've tried a few searches and nothing seems to come up that looks like wot I reckon it should.

Anyone able to guide me to a part number perhaps? I've got the unit out of the car so I can plonk it on the counter at EAI but a number would help them as well I reckon.

Failing being able to source a new one, I reckon I can get creative with a tie-rod gaiter from something else (Mini anyone? :) )

I haven't been able to find a good diagram or photo of the thing anywhere, unless I'm not recognising it.

Oh, and it looks a bit like the one in this pic, but I assume the bellows part is missing a fair bit of its body, and that the absent section joins up in some way to the "top hat" section.

All suggestions gratefully received and will be diligently filtered through the veracity meter! :)

Cheers, Pottsy

Attachments

• Steering uni boot.jpg
    Steering uni boot.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 86
yours must be non PAS is that right ?
think you're after part number 3
doubt EAI will have one but a peug dealership somewhere may have one still sitting on a shelf ?

I haven't seen one of them, all the PAS steer columns don't have any knuckle boot
just a boot to cushion the collumn against the firewall

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 7.08.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 7.08.49 AM.png
    139 KB · Views: 80
Thanks mate. That's exactly the sort of diagram I've been diligently seeking and failing to find.

Is there a pdf copy of the 205 parts book available somewhere that I haven't found yet?

And yes, it's non power assisted steering.

Cheers, Pottsy

Thanks DM. How could I not have come across that resource?

I'll blame old age and poor searching skills.

Cheers, Pottsy

Adapt an easy to get unversal boot

Thanks Driv. That's now plan C.

I've got a couple of spare Mini rack boots that look like good prospects.

I've also enlisted Hayden at Pugwreck in the quest as well.

Onward & Upward! Pottsy.

Here's one:

Not affiliated in any way.

Learn some french: soufflet is "boot" (as in "bellows"), direction is steering. These two led me there even though none actually appears in the listing title.

And you need to wade past the rack bellows that will inevitably show up.

Non monsieur Schlitz. Ce n'est pas l'objet je desire.

That's the grommet through the firewall, which is fine on the project.

But thanks for looking nonetheless.

Cheers, Pottsy.

Thanks Run. I found that, and it at least shows what it should look like.

The "top hat" section appears to be listed separately as a "soufflet", which seems incorrect as it's not bellowsy/gaitery at all. But the part number 451 03 for the gaiter appears to be non-existent.

Ah well, it'll do the Hatchback of Notre Dame good to have some BMC DNA! :)

Cheers, Pottsy

Hmmmmmph.

I've come up empty. But I have also looked for the setup you have and can't find anything similar anywhere. My cars (a '92 205Si wreck and a '87 GTI I drive) don't have that. They have a different setup. Looking at various other cars on the 'nets they don't show that bellow, but are similar to mine. Not sure what's goin' on.

My GTI may have been modified but the SI wreck was pretty unmolested when I got it.

Here you go, 415103. The same part is also fitted to 309's.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-08 at 4.19.36 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-08 at 4.19.36 pm.png
    876 KB · Views: 66
Thanks for looking anyway. That's obviously an anomaly for which I can offer no explanation.
In any case, I've been successful in grafting a BMC part onto a PSA product, as can be seen in the pic below.

I've also been playing with some vinyl to enhance the look of the car a little.

Cheers, Pottsy

Attachments

• uni joint with Mini boot.jpg
    uni joint with Mini boot.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Steering joint as was.jpg
    Steering joint as was.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 76
  • cam cover.jpg
    cam cover.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 73
  • grille.jpg
    grille.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 72
Peter, yes, found that diagram and no-one seems to have that part in Melbourne.

Never mind, it's sometimes more fun to improvise! :)

Thanks, Pottsy.

I found it o/s, around 3.50 Euro.

If the Mini part hadn't been such a neat fit I would have chased further, but there you are.

Now I just have to persuade that pesky big grommet in the firewall that it needs to go back in and stay!

Thanks, Pottsy.

Thanks for looking anyway. That's obviously an anomaly for which I can offer no explanation.
In any case, I've been successful in grafting a BMC part onto a PSA product, as can be seen in the pic below.

I've also been playing with some vinyl to enhance the look of the car a little.

Cheers, Pottsy

Maybe my cars have just lost that bellow (and all the ones I looked at overseas on the 'nets). Doesn't seem to be crucial judging by the lack of rust or any other untoward signs on my cars.

That vinyl won't stay on the cam cover unfortunately (oil, heat, etc) but for a picture looks fine. I would be concerned about the fire hazard though.

I have resprayed my grille with Tamiya paints (they have a rather comprehensive range) and so far so good. That logo would be easy peasy. I couldn't find one to rejuvenate the lion badge properly, but Chrome Silver does an okay job.

Last edited: