205 GTi SIII Tachymetric Relay

matt205

Fellow Frogger
Anyone know where the Tach relay lives on a 92 205 GTi, ie Motronic. I know on the older cars it lived in the engine bay. Is it the one attached to the steering column bracket that looks a bit like a pen case in size?

Not sure if this is even the problem, but I'll be happier when I find it. The problem I am having is cold starting, it just doesn't want to fire, with a little aerostart and some persistent cranking it eventually fires but obviously this is a pain, any idea's?

hmmm...sounds like it might be a tach.relay problem...ie car fires as long as engine is being cranked....i had a similar problem when i got my 205gti a few yera back....nobody could seem to identify the problem till i took the car to a wrecker where the guy let me test a different igniton module, coil and tach relay....turned out to be the realy.....they can be very hard to diagnose as they "play up" and usually work perfectly when a mechanic is looking at the car....

Can u borrow one from somebody...i think 405 used same realy....
...as for the location...i m not sure where it is located in 92 gti....on my 88 it was near the front left corner between the battery and headlight....U r looking for a relay thats "longer" than a standard relay and has more connectors to...some of them are much smaller than standrd male connectors....

good luck....

cheers
dino

ps...make sure all the other ElectRIcal connections are FIRM....ie...AFM, idle position, coil, distributor, plugs, battery terminals, earth etc etc......hell i even checked the fuel pump wiring in the boot.......just check everything thorughly....

Mine was under the dash, next to the steering column, attached to the ECU. It looks like a typical relay, only a bit larger.

You might be able to tell if this is the problem by listening for the sound of the fuel pump charging when you switch on the ignition. If there is silence, the relay could be stuck.

I was able to take my relay apart and free up the sticking component, has been fine ever since.

Good luck,
Mark