205 gti Engine Removal

neil

Fellow Frogger
I will be pulling the old 205 motor out next weekend and want a consensus as to what is the easiest way to get the old engine out and new one in?

Either pull it out from the top?

or

Pull it out from the bottom?

Neil :confused: :confused: :confused:

..on that, give me a yell what time you will be starting next weekend so I can get my over-alls on to give you a hand...or an impediment mallet

I have a good mate who is a diesel mechanic who might be interested in helping out. Has a shit load of tools too. If Cal's around 4 of us may be able to lift the car off the engine. What am I talking about, if Cal is there he can do it himself, afterall he is a meat-axe moon

Brad you maybe official photographer/muscle as your spanner knowledge leaves bit to be desired. LOL moon moon

Neil
cheers!

jack the front of the car up on engine stands. the stands should be on the rails, behind the cross member, so the front spoiler is a the height of the engine above the ground.
remove exhaust and driveshafts,
take weight of motor/gearbox with hoist, block&tackle etc,
undo and remove three engine mounts,
lower motor/gearbox to ground,
then drag out under front.
installation is reversal of removal

I agreed with Peter although don't forget 2 remove the appropriate leads. I've said a hail Mary 4 u because u'll find dropping the eng. on a 205 is GRIEF!

neil 416:
Brad you maybe official photographer/muscle as your spanner knowledge leaves bit to be desired. LOL moon moon

Neil
cheers!
Though my electrical knownledge isn't too bad. You got a soldering iron and solder? We will need them + heat shrink.

What about a digital camera? I can borrow one for the 'event'.

Thanks fella's

Brad I will speak to you on the weekend!

Neil cheers! a_drink

I took mine out from the top. You have to drop it down a bit to get the gearbox engine mount off, then adjust the chain so you lift it out on an angle. It wasnt too hard, we had the front totally off as well so it kinda came out the front as well.
Dunno about dropping it out the bottom, might be easier by all accounts.