205 GTI Dealer Pre-Delivery Notes from 1989

thatguy

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Recently picked up a 205 GTI as a donor for other GTI builds going on right now

While the car hadn't seen much recent love and hadn't run in a few years, but did have all the paperwork right back to its initial sale (even the original handwritten MTA Retail Buyers Order Form). Also had the original Peugeot 205 GTI video but who has a VCR player these days

In the original 205 GTI glossy sales folder was also the dealer pre delivery notes from Graeme Furness Prestige at Pymble which I've scanned and attached for wider entertainment. Interesting insights into dealer prep and how little they seemed to know about the 205s at the time.

Pug 205 Dealer Delivery Note - 1989.jpg

Anyway, after a good clean and stripping most of what we need the shell appears to be straight and good nick. It even has a dealer fitted electric sunroof with the paperwork and user manual for it too

Not sure if we’ll sell this one off for someone else to give another life when done or put it under wraps in the garage for a later project … definitely way too good for the scrapper

That's quite a hoot to read... love the NFF comments.

Does sound though that it had languished on the docks or elsewhere. Generally there will be around 3 months between Peugeot production date (Year - Month) and the ADR date... but sometime it can a lot longer... but not that long.

I can transcribe the VHS vid to MP4 so long as it's not copy protected :)

Cheers

Jeez, I wish Southport motors had shown anywhere near this level of care to mine when I bought it. I have my paper work still and its nothing like this despite the issues it came with.

Nice work and its great to see this.

That was a pretty funny read. Love the "have we bought a 14 month old new car? Please explain"

They certainly put some effort into rectifying the various issues.

In 1989 import duties were still steep so the cars were put into bond store on arrival. Duties weren't paid until the car was withdrawn for sale. The date of fixing the ADR plate was its official date of manufacture. Storages of over a year were not uncommon, even up to two years. Canny dealers would select their own stock from the stockpile so that cars that were in storage the longest were likely to have more defects.