205 GTI 'Classics' - Where are they now?

Hi Rob

Thanks for the updates. We'd love to see a couple of photos.

The Facebook link you have posted appears to be to a closed group. Could you perhaps copy and paste some of the info on No17 into here please?

Re your car... the jack in a Classic goes under the seat same as any other 205 with air. Are you sure the cut in the carpet hasn't just moved out of alignment with the mounting hole, or could the carpet have been replaced?

You're probably aware that the stereo for the Classic is a Eurovox 7479, not the same as a normal Aus 205. Have you tried contacting Go Technologies about your code? They own the rights to the Eurovox name now and are very helpful. They can normally retrieve an access code for you from the serial number of your stereo. The form for this can be downloaded at the bottom of this page: Go Technologies: Service & Support

The 7479 can control a CD stacker but none was fitted as standard to the Classic. I think it would have gone in the boot (I have seen a couple on their side on the nearside of the boot?) but am not sure if it was ever an official dealer option. Eurovox branded stackers come up on Australian Gumtree and eBay regularly as they were fitted to top level Holdens here, or Go Technologies may also have one they could supply if you want.

Richard

Thanks Hicho

Any chance you have any stickers left? Or can send a file to me to have some more made up?

Thanks for all the information Richard. I wonder if the carpet has been changed in No.27 because the cutout wasn't there, which is what made me wonder. I guess it's easy enough to re-cut :)

I'll give that Go Technologies link a try-thanks. It is a 7479 I have got (I think i worked out based on pics of your old car!).

OK apologies on the facebook link, didn't realise it was a closed group. Here are the pics and details.

IMG_2106.jpgIMG_2104.jpgIMG_2105.jpg

Here's a couple of pics of No.27. It was on display at the NEC Classic Motor show in Birmingham a year or two ago. There's also one of it by the 1FM :)

IMG_2107.jpgIMG_1986.jpgIMG_1985.jpg

Love that you have the NSW plate on it Rob! And glad to know you still have it safe and sound mate.

Thanks Hicho

Any chance you have any stickers left? Or can send a file to me to have some more made up?

Hey Cam,

Can definitely dig up the file for you. Would have to check sticker stocks...I think I only have two sets left - one and a spare.

PM me what you need and I’ll try to find my stash and the file.

The 7479 can control a CD stacker but none was fitted as standard to the Classic. I think it would have gone in the boot (I have seen a couple on their side on the nearside of the boot?) but am not sure if it was ever an official dealer option.
It was an official optional extra, as described in the Press Release.

The 405 STi of the same era has it listed as an $855 option. I think it's traditionally a Clarion unit.

Updated the table at the start of this thread to note the purchase of Classic No30 by Gezza in Perth

Not me although I nearly bought it lol just thought th3 budget would be blown out with it....

Ooops. Sorry- I thought I had reliable information! I'll correct it.

Lol you dd I was so close to buyin* it hey!!

I saw a former Prime Minister driving his Classic in the CBD late last year ;)

Is Paul Keating's 205 a Classic? From the photos published in the paper last year I couldn't see any sign of the 'Classic' stickers on the side. I thought it was a 'normal' S3 in Sorrento green?

Thanks! Definitely no 'Classic' sticker on the side where it should be in that last photo.

An overdue update from Number 27 up here in the northern hemisphere!

in September last year, I was invited to bring it to an event in Holland (where I now live) celebrating 35 years of the 205.

The event was based in the largest Peugeot/Citroen dealer in Benelux, in Culenbourg, Netherlands, who had kindly given over a part of the showroom, the workshops, and a large outdoor area to the event. The Classic was very privileged to be inside the showroom in a sort of small display of unusual or rare 205s. I also brought the 1FM over from the UK and the two were side by side. Alongside the Classic was one if only 19 original Dutch Griffes making a nice trio of Limited edition 205s!

There were numerous other interesting and rare 205s and 309s at the event, including a road 205 T16, a Safari 205 T16 loaned by the museum in France, numerous Dimmas, Gutmanns, remarkable low mileage examples (one with only 7km!) and factory prototypes. There were apparently there were over 400 205s and 50 309s in attendance.

It was a wonderful day and the Classic got a lot of interest! I will attach some photos but first need to resize them to <100k

Rob