205 GTI Bad Vibration turning Right

neilc

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
I have a vibration issue in my 205 GTI when turning right. No problems turning left or driving in a straight line. I have tried different wheels on the front problem still there. I have changed both right and left driveshafts and still have a problem. I have disconnected drop links and problem still there.

Steering rack is secure and tie rods ok. Ball joint on lower controls arms are good. I have new KW Coil overs with Baker BM Adjustable camber top mounts.

Any experienced a similar problem, I have run out of ideas?

Wheel bearing?

Whats the vibration like? Changes with speed and revs? Could be the engine moving in its mounts and rubbing on the chassis or similar.

The vibration is severe the dash shakes. It happens at speeds above 50k a bit hard to judge as too busy gripping the steering wheel. Can’t notice at 10 - 20 k. The 3 engine mounts are by baker ones.

Going in a straight line or turning left at any speed no problems so my thoughts were that it wouldn’t be a wheel bearing.
I am thinking of removing the coil over and top mounts and inspecting them. I was thinking of swapping them to see if the problem moves. Thanks for your reply and welcome any further thoughts

Strut top bearing maybe? Also just because you have replaced some bits with new or reco parts don't assume they are good. I've had new and repco parts fail not long after fitting them.

Did you change your wheel bearings while the driveshafts were out? I've stuffed one up pressing the hub into a brand new one, if the hub is pressed too hard it will dislodged the center races, as what happened to me.

No I haven’t touched wheel bearings. I will keep your comments in mind. Thanks

Sounds strange. Something is amiss.

When did it start? I had a bag vibe under acceleration in my 205, was the left shaft but you have changed that. Could it be that a wheel weight has come adrift?

It sounds like the wheel is ‘flopping’ about once at speed (over 50ks). Dud strut? Something not tight?

Have tried different wheels on the front no change. While I had the car jacked up today I noticed that the gearbox end cover had a shiny patch maybe I should put put spacers on the front. I run 14” wheels. Thanks for the comments

If they are standard 14 wheels with 185s I your steering rack may not be centred even though the wheels are aligned. Jack up the car and turn full lock to see if they are rubbing.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Problem still happening maybe not as bad as it was.
Have done the following
Replaced tie rods and tie rod ends
Bushes on arb
Replaced wheel bearings
Top mounts and spring perches to suit coilovers

I found an article on 205 gti owners website which seems like my problem, the problem is related to free play in driveshaft under cornering conditions and they are bottoming out
Has anyone experienced this I run with 2 -ve camber
I have moved the engine towards the drivers side on the gearbox mount not sure if this will be enough

https://www.205gtidrivers.com/forum...t-and-ve-camber/?tab=comments#comment-1456256
Anyone have any comments on driveshaft freeplay and positioning of gearbox mount in vehicle

It does sound plausible that one of the d'shafts is bottoming out. I would check the right hand side both at the g'box and support bearing to make sure nothing is amiss.

Have you tried to check your tires? A defective or out of balance is one of the reasons why you are experiencing a bad vibration in your car. Aside from that, you can also check if you have worn-out suspension parts and joints.

Have you tried to check your tires? A defective or out of balance is one of the reasons why you are experiencing a bad vibration in your car. Aside from that, you can also check if you have worn-out suspension parts and joints.
I was sure that I would need to change a wheel bearing in a 405 I once had. Turned out that new tyres fixed the problem.

Will do thanks

If you have changed camber, I would check that next. Not sure how easy it is to fiddle with the settings, but I would put a witness mark for the current setting and then return things to stock setting (perhaps one side at a time) and test it by hand if possible (might have to compress suspension somehow to normal driving ride height). If not, just take for a test drive.

Come to think of it, if you have lowered the car as well, you can almost guarantee this is where your problem lies.

I will reset camber to standard and try it, followed by resetting ride height and trying it again and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestions

I run -3.5º of camber and don't have issues with bottoming out.

Perhaps your issue is an out of round bearing/hub housing? The only way you'll know is to pull it all apart and get the micrometer out.

Thanks I will check. With your camber setting, are you still using 205 lower control arms? Also do you use 205 gti driveshafts? Is the top mount in the original location?