203 wiper upgrade

unigabe

Fellow Frogger
Has anyone upgraded the wiper motor on a 203? Mine is slow and only effective in a light shower.

We fitted a Renault 12 two speed wiper motor to one of my 203s several years ago. It was not as fiddly to do as we thought it would be and we used the switch under the dash that turns the 'side lights' on as the 'speed' switch. Don't ask me for technical details as it was a fair while ago and the grey matter is not what it used to be. Plan it first and it should then be easier.

FLASH

Easy Peasy

Has anyone upgraded the wiper motor on a 203? Mine is slow and only effective in a light shower.

Unigabe....... the problem is usually nothing more than solidified grease in the original motor.
Easiest thing to do is pull it out , take off aluminium cover and wash thoroughly in petrol. When dry regrease / reoil in obvious places and reassemble. I have done four in recent times including two completely stopped. All now working perfectly again. My advice is try this easy fix first. Takes about an hour start to finish and remains totally original.
Good luck.:headbang:

Don't forget to take the linkage apart and lubricate everything, mostly the wiper shafts. These go dry and then bind something awful. I replaced both in my 404C.

The wipers are actually quite fast if noisy. I have made many long highway trips in heavy rain in my 203 and it copes well but no washers. I'm not sure how the mechanism would cope with higher speeds. Blades and arms are another question. The flat blades can lift a bit in strong winds. I still have the original arms on mine and I'm not sure of the replacement options. I trust they'll see me out.

Cleaned and regreased and oiled everything as per suggestions and it works much better. I now feel confident about driving it in the rain. Thanks for the help.

Not everyone liked the 203 wipers and the clap hands configuration. The 202 had parallel wipers. A French road test in the 1950's suggested the wipers were not from the 202 but from the 201.

Cleaned and regreased and oiled everything as per suggestions and it works much better. I now feel confident about driving it in the rain. Thanks for the help.
That's great news Unigabe............ glad we could help. ��

Great advice DeeCee. It is stored in the grey matter for later use.