203 project

A warning on the boot. Never allow others to close it. They push it down thinking the support will slide and so break the rather delicate side mounting for the stay. Happened to mine and I've seen it happen to others,

203 boots were lined. Note the disconnected tail light switch. Around 1951-52 a law was introduced in Victoria that all cars had to have an externally operated tail light switch independent of the other lights. So a motorist had to get out to switch on and so saw the light was working.

Attachments

• car 010.jpg
    car 010.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 136
203 boots were lined. Note the disconnected tail light switch. Around 1951-52 a law was introduced in Victoria that all cars had to have an externally operated tail light switch independent of the other lights. So a motorist had to get out to switch on and so saw the light was working.
That's interesting, I don't think it was a law in QLD, but that was before my time.

These little switches are still found on Victorian cars of the period.

Attachments

• car 006.jpg
    car 006.jpg
    892.6 KB · Views: 143
Note the offset number plate mount that was a feature of the early cars coming from Canada Cycle. The Ducellier lamps have holes in them covered by plastic so the parkers pick up a faint light from the globe held outside the lamp in the globe holder.

Attachments

• April 2009 014.jpg
    April 2009 014.jpg
    890.9 KB · Views: 138
Russel,
When were front indicators introduced to the Australian 203s? According to the parts manual, it wasn’t until ‘56. Was that actually the case?
Cheers
Dano

Australian assembly always lagged behind French production, sometimes two years with the 403's. So as far as I know all Australian 203's still had semaphores. There was a chap from Geelong who had what he claimed was the last assembled car in Australia, from 1957, and it had semaphores. There was a very nice original 56 sold out of Casterton before the re-run and it had semaphores and 16" wheels. The only indicator cars I've seen have been full imports. As far as I know the semaphore was discontinued with the fitting of indicators. The law changed in Victoria in 1959 to make indicators legal and most fittings were from that time. There was a local assembly claimed as 58 with semaphores but I think the owner had his dates wrong. So that's something for people to look out for - an Australian assembled 203 without semaphores. I wish I'd written the serial numbers of those 56 models down.

Congrats on that one. Starting from a very good point from the looks. What's under the bonnet? Photos please.
I have one modification for you that's worth considering. Take off the rear tail lights and you'll find a stop/tail globe illuminating the red glass and below there's an amber reflector.
On my car I scraped the silver backing from the reflector and fitted a homemade set of connectors for a festoon globe. I used these for the rear flashers. I also hooked up the small lights above the semiphores to flash as well. I got the semiphores working from a different switch so I can give people a thrill as nobody ever expects them to work. I made clear perspex covers as the originals are red and were unobtanium.

I made my festoon points from old 3 way Les Paul guitar pickup selector switches which are reed style. But Graham Wallis used the idea instead using sets of old points, the ones with the hole in the middle. I think his may be superior but mine are still working after 10 years.
Looking forward to your journey.

Co Gioi Dai Phat Chúng tôi cung cấp một dịch vụ thu mua xác nhà, nha xưởng, nhà kho cũ giá cao trọn gói nhằm đáp ứng nhu cầu cho quý khách hàng đồng thời giúp quý khách tiết kiệm thời gian và chi phí trong việc phá dỡ và giải phóng mặt bằng. Với đội ngũ nhân viên chuyên nghiệp có tay nghề cao và nhiều kinh nghiệm trong nghề làm việc nhanh chóng và an toàn tuyệt đối cho quý khách.
Là một đơn vị có nhiều kinh nghiệm trong lĩnh vực phá dỡ nhà cũ, thanh lý nhà cũ, nhà xưởng, phá dỡ các khu nhà cao tầng nhiều năm nên chúng tôi có đầy củ các máy móc thiết bị hiện đại chuyên dụng cho lĩnh vực này. Máy móc hiện đại cùng với nhân viên giàu kinh nghiệm giúp công việc được tiến hành nhanh chóng và đơn giản luôn luôn đúng tiến độ cam kết. Chính vì những điều này đã tạo được uy tín trong lòng khách hàng.
Ngoài ra chúng tôi còn nhận ép cừ thép tại tphcm, dịch vụ đào móng công trình , đào móng nhà dân tại tphcm
Lien He :
CÔNG TY TNHH MTV CƠ GIỚI ĐẠI PHÁT
0923 355 559
Just used Google translator to translate the above. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH AUSSIEFROG CONTENT.
Cheers Dano

What a shame. Thought it might have been the ghost of Jean Comte come to reminisce.

Attachments

• 13643262944_bcaeca066f.jpg
    13643262944_bcaeca066f.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 132
Would that be Bob's old 203?
Yes Dano old Son........It is indeed. The give away is the indicator repeaters on the the side of the front guards and the driving lights that Bob installed to match the early french ones found in that model. The one thing that jarrett won't have to worry about as far as I am aware is rust....there shouldn't be any. Rescued from scrap by Bob and rebuilt mechanically from memory.
Can direct 'Jarrett' to Bob if he wants and if Bob approves. Will be sharing pre Xmas bbq with him and our car club tomorrow night.
And on that topic........ Merry Christmas to you and yours. Funny, small, world 'Peugeot L'Monde' isn't it? (And please don't correct my French grammar) ......had enough trouble at school!
Cheers.🎅🎅 Deane.

the boot in question (DeeCee sent me these a couple of years ago) showing the cable release and some of the taillight wiring - mine had a small pull-switch, but can’t see that this one does ...
G'day "FNQ". It had been removed at some point prior to Bob's later refreshment of the wiring in general. Regards. DeeCee.
so french yes but 'Pre Production' only insofar as predating local assembly ... DeeCee is another whose posts you should look for, he knew the car ( as 'Roger Rabbit' ) in Gippsland...
It was actually......."Roger Rocket" and as I had the honour of chtistening it I'll forgive you.... (especially as you're form that funny bit up the top!) ;) Cheers. Deane.

Congrats on that one. Starting from a very good point from the looks. What's under the bonnet? Photos please.
I have one modification for you that's worth considering. Take off the rear tail lights and you'll find a stop/tail globe illuminating the red glass and below there's an amber reflector.
On my car I scraped the silver backing from the reflector and fitted a homemade set of connectors for a festoon globe. I used these for the rear flashers. I also hooked up the small lights above the semiphores to flash as well. I got the semiphores working from a different switch so I can give people a thrill as nobody ever expects them to work. I made clear perspex covers as the originals are red and were unobtanium.

I made my festoon points from old 3 way Les Paul guitar pickup selector switches which are reed style. But Graham Wallis used the idea instead using sets of old points, the ones with the hole in the middle. I think his may be superior but mine are still working after 10 years.
Looking forward to your journey.
Dan, old sausage ,that's a lot of trouble to go to but knowing you I bet you had fun! (Deane) PS. "Merry Xmas" 🎅

It's what's called a 1950 model probably sold late in the year. Peugeot change their model year at the end of September. The features that distinguish it as a 1950 are the seats and the internal boot release. There are lots of 203's said to be 1948 models about but it's just one of the things people say. The first RHD cars were produced in March/April 1949 and the first three pre-release models landed in Melbourne in July 1949. The earliest RHD 203 I know about is a June 1949 model in Cape Province in South Africa. I know someone who registered a 1951 model as a 1950 and it keeps popping up on ebay as a 1950. So if you register it as a 1948 only a few boring pedants would ever notice. After all a 1948 model 202 was registered in NSW as a 1938 and nobody noticed for years.
The registration authorities can also have a rôle in funny dating of car rego

MAny years ago, when I went to register my unequivocally 1927 Austin Seven, VicRoads would only register it as a 1932, despite all my protestations/blandishments/threats/breath holding. The reason was that the first record they had of the engine number was from 1932, so he is down as a '32 A7 ( a very different beast from a '27 )

I recently acquired a Haflinger for work around the place. Got Lurch from up in Albury with a stack of documentation , including old NSW rego papers. He is a series 2 with the 5 speed box, so is unequivocally late 60's early 70's. NSW rego papers have him as 1958 model, which is how is is now recorded in VicRoads database, as I decided that it was best to let it go through to the keeper rather than risking some clipboard carrying muppet disrupting things by wanting to explore the inconsistency.

Quirky system, but one has to choose one's battles

Andrew

Australian assembly always lagged behind French production, sometimes two years with the 403's. So as far as I know all Australian 203's still had semaphores. There was a chap from Geelong who had what he claimed was the last assembled car in Australia, from 1957, and it had semaphores. There was a very nice original 56 sold out of Casterton before the re-run and it had semaphores and 16" wheels. The only indicator cars I've seen have been full imports. As far as I know the semaphore was discontinued with the fitting of indicators. The law changed in Victoria in 1959 to make indicators legal and most fittings were from that time. There was a local assembly claimed as 58 with semaphores but I think the owner had his dates wrong. So that's something for people to look out for - an Australian assembled 203 without semaphores. I wish I'd written the serial numbers of those 56 models down.
For the record, and according to the parts book, indicators replaced trafficators on 203C and C5 after nos. 1.821.684 and 1.635.066 respectively. This accords with the beginning of 1957 production (September 1956). Trafficators were replaced on the 403 at the same time.

The registration authorities can also have a rôle in funny dating of car rego

MAny years ago, when I went to register my unequivocally 1927 Austin Seven, VicRoads would only register it as a 1932, despite all my protestations/blandishments/threats/breath holding. The reason was that the first record they had of the engine number was from 1932, so he is down as a '32 A7 ( a very different beast from a '27 )

I recently acquired a Haflinger for work around the place. Got Lurch from up in Albury with a stack of documentation , including old NSW rego papers. He is a series 2 with the 5 speed box, so is unequivocally late 60's early 70's. NSW rego papers have him as 1958 model, which is how is is now recorded in VicRoads database, as I decided that it was best to let it go through to the keeper rather than risking some clipboard carrying muppet disrupting things by wanting to explore the inconsistency.

Quirky system, but one has to choose one's battles

Andrew
Yep, sometimes you are better off letting the ignorant know better.

There were 67 registrations of new 203's in Australia in 1957. We can guess all were from earlier 1956 kits. Gordon Miller used to keep a register of 203 serial numbers but it is no longer available. I have seen a few claimed 1957's but all had semaphores. A wreck recovered from Heywood had a very late serial number which I sent to Gordon. I can't find it in my files. The 7 cars, 4 utes and a panel van registered in 1958 were probably full imports. The only one of those I saw had blinkers and no semaphore.