203 Progress

James Gelido

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hey Froggers!

Some progress shots of the old girl. Reconditioned radiator with new core. Spare crank now cleaned and ready to go in, measures perfectly:

Mains:
1). 44.95 2). 50.91 3). 49.93
Con-rod: 44.97

Body has been reconstructed. Structurally good. New brakes, master cylinder, lines etc. New sleeves also.

Paint work will remain as is (for now). Feel the patina will add to its character and give it that ratty look. Some may not agree, but I love it! No structural rust so all is sound.

203 Side View.jpg

203 top view.jpg

Crank 203 Ground.jpg

Fan and Radiator.jpg

Radiator.jpg

The paintwork looks great, dude !

..... except those red wheel rims ! :crazy:

In 1950 all 203's had burgundy wheels. It was also a car colour. Critics called the tone "wine dregs".

Beauty , Russell.......I have a whole burgundy car. I can't get it wrong can I? BUT.......is bright red burgundy?

Just wondering! :D

The paintwork looks great, dude !

..... except those red wheel rims ! :crazy:

Thanks Beano! Not a fan of the rims? Reminds me of Christmas! Green, red and white all year round in the form of a 203, haha

Cleaned out the bell housing and polished the manufacturers plate. 'HARDEN AND JOHNSTON LTD, SYDNEY - J203 - 002' .

Boys, any idea if '002' is indicative of the 2nd off the production line, or, just something else entirely? (would be an awesome story if it was but I doubt it would be)

203 Production Plate.jpg

Bell Housing 203.jpg

There is a person who has done a lot of research into Harden & Johnston plates but my computer problems have temporarily lost me my contacts. Your car would have been assembled in the Harden & Johnston plant in Roseberry.
Depending on year. From mid 1952 to beginning of 1954 the Harden & Johnston 203's were assembled by Chrysler in the old T.J. Richards plant at Keswick in Adelaide.

Last edited:
Only the central tail light is original. March 1951 to October 1954. The others are a common 1950's style.