203 Head

swm405

Tadpole
A friend of mine not on this page is looking for a head for a 203. Year model of the car is 1948. Any leads would be appreciated. Thank you.

AFAIK, any 203 head will do ( if that helps )
for that matter a 403 head could be made to work and they can have the one here.
the year would be known from a serial number but it'd be remarkable if actually '48 - we'ld love to see it.

Last edited:
I will pass the info on. Thanks Steven. Car looks great. I haven’t seen an tag but car has been in the family for a few generations. Absolutely a 48
With all respect model history indicates the earliest the car can be is a 1949. The car was released in Paris October in 1948 for orders only and deliveries not made until early 1949. The first three cars in Australia arrived in June 1949, the car released for orders only in September and the first shipment landed late December. Nearly all early 203's are 1950 registrations.

Of course an actual '48 ought not be molested but conserved as original as possible ...
att. to establish model year
1p03.jpg
1p05.jpg
1p06.jpg
1p07.jpg

With all respect model history indicates the earliest the car can be is a 1949. The car was released in Paris October in 1948 for orders only and deliveries not made until early 1949. The first three cars in Australia arrived in June 1949, the car released for orders only in September and the first shipment landed late December. Nearly all early 203's are 1950 registrations.
Thank you Russell. I will pass that on, and better still, get him to join the group. The car looks fantastic.

SWM405,

As with the others, I'd love to see an array of photos (I'm greedy). I have no reason to doubt you or your friend's view that it is a '48 model. It may have been imported privately at some stage. A photo or listing of the body number would be very interesting to see. Either way, I'm in agreeance with Steven. Any old/early 203 should be kept as original as possible. There are so few left.

I do know of a 203 in France, that is (from memory ) the eleventh 203 made. Will check my emails and or contact the owner to verify. Stay tuned.

Cheers,

Dano

SWM405,

As with the others, I'd love to see an array of photos (I'm greedy). I have no reason to doubt you or your friend's view that it is a '48 model. It may have been imported privately at some stage. A photo or listing of the body number would be very interesting to see. Either way, I'm in agreeance with Steven. Any old/early 203 should be kept as original as possible. There are so few left.

I do know of a 203 in France, that is (from memory ) the eleventh 203 made. Will check my emails and or contact the owner to verify. Stay tuned.

Cheers,

Dano
Thanks Dano. I saw the car on the weekend but not up close. Fully restored, just needs the head and the original windscreen put back in with new rubber. Bonnet was closed. The car is a family heirloom and the owner did say 48, so going by the comments it may be a private import. Either way a great example. I hope to get him to join the group so you can see some photos. Cheers Stew

The first RHD 203's weren't made until April 1949. There is a June 1949 car in Cape Province South Africa. There is an early 1949 private import in NZ. The test of an early body is the two boot handles. The first 203 sold in Australia ended up with the Etheridge family in Ballarat and was wrecked in the early 1960's. Stories are nice but facts are facts.

Last edited:
See if you can verify the VIN, to be sure.
Yes I will Mike. I have asked this bloke to join and I don’t have any more info. Thanks for your interest. Either way a very special car. I might enquire with Rolly . If anyone has a lead on one, he might know. I used to work next door years ago. Cheers mate.