203 engine increase to 403 capacity

i liked to fiddle with the A<->R knob while screaming up the Calder towards Mt Macedon ( never helped ).
It was lights on Burke Road that broke my heart.

It's anticipation that's needed. Coming towards Dergholm just before the pub is a slow right hander and then a surprisingly steep grade. If the revs aren't get up and the change to second left too long it's an embarrassing struggle to avoid a restart. Same as the Casterton lookout - stop and engage first particularly with a load. Anticipation and keep the revs up.

So are the mains poured or slipper?
Centre and rear mains are shells. Front is poured so can be redone but finding a place to do it is the problem. Later 403s had copper lead front mains. In either case though they are a bush rather than shells. The copper lead ones had a a pair of shims, the early ones had to be machined to give the correct end float.

Wiko, Ken Gazzard, whose paint shop was responsible for your car paint job, has just died. Started as a car salesman in Casterton in 1954.

Thanks for letting me know Russell. I did give the business a call a week ago to see if they knew of the car but they had no record, so his passing just now is perhaps a coincidence.

One on the engines I built up with help from my dad and uncle (Bianchi Bros) was a 403 block with 1600 liners. High compression pistons, lightened bottom end, 403 big valve head port polish, 3/4 race cam and 45DCOE. DYNO was a touch over 80HP at the wheels but the 3 bearing bottom end chewed out the bearings once then a cracked piston caused the last engine removal...... Great engine and great way to learn about building engines in my youth. Can't wait to return home to tinker on all my cars when I finally get back :(

Last edited:
The factory rally 203 of 1950 had a capacity of of 1498cc, taken out to the limit for the class. The bonnet was never lifted for the press but undoubtedly had twin carbys. It was fast enough to win Rome - Liege - Rome which was their greatest European rally success.
In 1951 Peugeot were so worried about the new Simca Aronde they were prepared to fit the new 403 engine if sales lagged. This led to the rumors in the French press at the Paris Show of a new 303 model with Cotal electromagnetic gearbox. In fact the Cotal box had been tested in five cars and was considered too expensive. The 1290cc capacity suited the austerity of the time with lower tax and more frugal fuel consumption.

That really is a nice paint finish that has lasted for nearly thirty years.
Not quite the 1958 blue, but a 505 blue.

Attachments

• p1100158-large.jpg
    p1100158-large.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Peugeot_203_1958poster.jpg
    Peugeot_203_1958poster.jpg
    996.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited: