203 Brakes

Dr Tom

Fellow Frogger
Hi everyone. Tried to adjust the front brakes on my 203C and the adjusters are completely seized up and won't budge...I have managed to round off the square nuts in trying to shift them with various tools...now vice grips won't even grip...CRC spray and banging with a hammer makes no difference...any advice gratefully appreciated! Thanks

Hi everyone. Tried to adjust the front brakes on my 203C and the adjusters are completely seized up and won't budge...I have managed to round off the square nuts in trying to shift them with various tools...now vice grips won't even grip...CRC spray and banging with a hammer makes no difference...any advice gratefully appreciated! Thanks
Typically 203 and 403 adjusters respond well to having a 19mm hex nut welded onto them.

Heat usually works on seized items

Yes, try welding the nuts on. Is that a metallic blue car?

Dr Tom.

Give stuff a whirl.

Havent found a bolt ye,t that this hasnt worked on (Within reason). It freed up the adjusters on the 404 restoration.
Be patient! Let it soak/seep in overnight. It is avaialable from SuperCheap Auto

1651221182978.png

Cheers

Dano

There used to be a repair part for brake adjusters but I used the last of mine. There is a special tool to be used on the square head adjusters. I've got a rounded one on the back and it's a nuisance, must get it welded. As your car would have had the brakes worked on in recent times the job isn't hopeless and they'll move.

The tool was available from Peugeot dealers. I'm glad I bought one. A Renault sump spanner also worked. The replacement adjuster was simple to fit after you got the old one off. I hope Basil had a good restoration job done on your car.

The tool you require is a 10mm square ring brake spanner. These are still made by Williams Superslim. I got mine on Ebay from the UK - a quick Google should find you one.

Wow thanks, lots of good suggestions. So you can still buy the adjusters?
Yes Basil did a thorough restoration job, although he didn't keep the original pale grey colour, and black is not very practical when you live on a dirt road! He did run out of funds when it came to the bumpers so also painted them black...I have since had them re-chromed (at great expense!) but it looks much better. I would add an image of the car to my profile but can't see how to do that....here is an attached file instead

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    723.6 KB · Views: 72
It looks very nice. There is a much traded blue 1951 model on here that was Basil's first restoration over thirty years ago and the paint is still in excellent condition so when he wanted to he could do a good job.

Dr Tom,

I had a quick look on serie04.com and franzose.com websites, but neither have them in stock.

Try these sites both in Europe/England.

I use a Renault version on my 404 with no problems.

1651523264951.png

Have sent you a PM

Cheers,

Dan

1651565888682.png
1651523264951.png

Thanks again for all your help...have found a square spanner online and it's getting shipped out from Leeds, UK.
Now, more questions (!) - How do you remove the brake adjusters so you can work on them and free them up?
And if they are really buggered can you get replacement parts?
cheers
Tom