203 anniversary

It is seventy years next week from the launch of the 203 in Australia. Canada Cycle and Motor Co advertised in the press and displayed the car at the Royal Melbourne Show. Promise was made of a December delivery. This was quick, a Holden was on two years delivery and all popular makes at least six months.
Due to the dollar shortage American cars were on indefinite delivery and many sellers would not take further orders. Buyers were used to paying deposits of 20 to 50 pounds and waiting. Car advertisements encouraged stoic patience. The situation was made worse by speculators who would put deposits on a number of cars and advertise them for a premium just before delivery. The situation was so bad dealers in American cars made buyers sign a contract not to resell for two years. When a Pontiac was resold at double its list York Motors took the buyer to the NSW Supreme Court who enforced the contract. The profit was refunded to York who donated it to Legacy.
At a time of high inflation the 203 was released at 895 pounds which put it in the competitive under thousand pound market. Unfortunately to keep the price down the modern and efficient heater demister introduced on the 402 was deleted. This was a poor move as such a unit would have strengthened the claims of the car to luxury. This was still a lot of money, out of the reach of ten pound a week workers and around the same price as a workers cottage in Fitzroy.
Canada Cycle and Motor Company was conservative and had survived the Depression by taking a hard nosed approach to transactions with low trade in values. They were not going to be caught with a lot of unsold cars so the December shipment was small, probably in the 25 to 50 car range. CCM were surprised by the interest in the cars and opened the Latrobe Street showroom to buyers all day Saturday. Subsequently a larger order was placed in conjunction with Harden & Johnston and a ship chartered to arrive in Sydney mid January. The NSW component of that shipment was 200 cars so we can assume the Victorian shipment was similar. The December shipment did not arrive until late in the month and cars were being sent to dealers after Christmas. They appeared as 1950 registrations.
Although Harden & Johnston always advertised as if they had brought the 203 to Australia Johnston was still in France negotiating an agency at this time. Somebody told Peugeot the Australian market for the 203 was in the 4000 to 5000 car range and they were quite excited about it. I suspect Johnston was to blame, talking up the market.
Private deliveries didn't really get under way until the end of January 1950.

Past and Present.

It is seventy years next week from the launch of the 203 in Australia. Canada Cycle and Motor Co advertised in the press and displayed the car at the Royal Melbourne Show. Promise was made of a December delivery. This was quick, a Holden was on two years delivery and all popular makes at least six months.
Due to the dollar shortage American cars were on indefinite delivery and many sellers would not take further orders. Buyers were used to paying deposits of 20 to 50 pounds and waiting. Car advertisements encouraged stoic patience. The situation was made worse by speculators who would put deposits on a number of cars and advertise them for a premium just before delivery. The situation was so bad dealers in American cars made buyers sign a contract not to resell for two years. When a Pontiac was resold at double its list York Motors took the buyer to the NSW Supreme Court who enforced the contract. The profit was refunded to York who donated it to Legacy.
At a time of high inflation the 203 was released at 895 pounds which put it in the competitive under thousand pound market. Unfortunately to keep the price down the modern and efficient heater demister introduced on the 402 was deleted. This was a poor move as such a unit would have strengthened the claims of the car to luxury. This was still a lot of money, out of the reach of ten pound a week workers and around the same price as a workers cottage in Fitzroy.
Canada Cycle and Motor Company was conservative and had survived the Depression by taking a hard nosed approach to transactions with low trade in values. They were not going to be caught with a lot of unsold cars so the December shipment was small, probably in the 25 to 50 car range. CCM were surprised by the interest in the cars and opened the Latrobe Street showroom to buyers all day Saturday. Subsequently a larger order was placed in conjunction with Harden & Johnston and a ship chartered to arrive in Sydney mid January. The NSW component of that shipment was 200 cars so we can assume the Victorian shipment was similar. The December shipment did not arrive until late in the month and cars were being sent to dealers after Christmas. They appeared as 1950 registrations.
Although Harden & Johnston always advertised as if they had brought the 203 to Australia Johnston was still in France negotiating an agency at this time. Somebody told Peugeot the Australian market for the 203 was in the 4000 to 5000 car range and they were quite excited about it. I suspect Johnston was to blame, talking up the market.
Private deliveries didn't really get under way until the end of January 1950.
Just a few pics to go with Russell's great anniversary write ups on the 203.
A Canada Cycle brochure of the time. 10 years on, a 203 buzzing through Taylor Square, within 'coo-wee' of Harden & Johnstons Flinders St. showrooms. Last on the list, some present day first and second series numbered survivers getting around the traps!

Attachments

• Your new Peugeot awaits.JPG
    Your new Peugeot awaits.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Open all day Saturday!.JPG
    Open all day Saturday!.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 124
  • Darlinghurst, 10 years on.JPG
    Darlinghurst, 10 years on.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 124
  • 1168327.JPG
    1168327.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 122
  • 1223886.JPG
    1223886.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 1224108.JPG
    1224108.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 1224915.JPG
    1224915.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 149
  • 1225560.JPG
    1225560.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
The Canada pamphlet wasn't the best. The advertising scriptwriter let himself go into flowery language. Harden & Johnston had a much better advertising agency and their publicity was very good. They had a firm understanding of the car and how to present it. Where there was a country dealer they presented the local paper with a top class press pack which country journalists were only too pleased to use.

My dear old dad more than likely worked for Bill back in the '50's.
Tried to get Les to restore a 203 when I got my first 504Ti but it didn't happen.
:cheers: Brendan.

That Canada Cycle and Motors pamphlet is ultra-cool - it'd be nice to see a higher resolution version.

Mike PM me your e-mail. I have had a computer fault and all my info and addresses are trapped in the old computer. Hopefully recoverable. I will e-mail you a copy plus the Harden & Johnston pamphlet. Don't hold your breath, I now have Windows 10 and we don't get on. So it might take awhile.

Speaking of early Peugeots,i have had Pugs since the1968..1 or TWO !!I had a friend in Geelong who bought the first Pugs to Australia.A bunch of 163's into Queensland.Sadly I lost contact with the Geelong gent...SUBSEQUENTLY NOT GETING HIS BUDDIES NUMBER.
Mine is a 163 BR Cabriolet...has by chance ,or good fortune any one have an old pictures or information,particularly the very pretty Art Deco Cab body .and the again very pretty windsield frame with a claw foot.iwould particularly like to find out who pruduced the body ,which i have seen 3 of.suited to larger cars..a pieceof Aussie history likely lost in the huge Smorgans Scrap Grab years ago.Thankyou.

The first Peugeot cars were imported into Australia as early as a confirmed 1903 and the first dealer was Fauvels in Sydney who were a Lion Peugeot dealer in 1907. Peugeot officially set up Australian dealerships in 1915 and the 163 was brought to Australia by A.W.B Mather the Peugeot importer appointed in 1920. This information is all readily available.

Mike PM me your e-mail. I have had a computer fault and all my info and addresses are trapped in the old computer. Hopefully recoverable. I will e-mail you a copy plus the Harden & Johnston pamphlet. Don't hold your breath, I now have Windows 10 and we don't get on. So it might take awhile.

Done! Thanks