203 - Angry Neighbour! - Smoke issue

Some of the replies to this post suggest that some owners are rather precious.
On starting, push the choke in immediately and move off. The effect on the life of the engine would be minimal if at all.

On diesel Peugeots. Get the fuel pump timing checked. After a few k's the newness would have worn off. the cause of smoke emissions. The selection of oil type can be a problem, I changed my diesel 504 from diesel grade oil to a generic diesel/ petrol type. The reduction in oil fumes and fouling of the air filter was great.

Last edited:
There's start up smoke and there's start up smoke. Starting an old Kirovets tractor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnm1pw594RU

I was just going to suggest borrowing an old diesel tractor from someone so the neighbour can get some perspective. I must say, I'm amazed they don't drag that out of the shed before they try and start it!

Even my little old tractor will blow plenty of smoke when cold starting in winter..... over 25degrees in summer, turn the key, no glow plugs and she's away with no smoke. 5degrees outside and 90 seconds of glow plugs in winter .... and we'll need a breathing aparatus for the first 30seconds of running if parked in a shed :eek:

An old car really shouldn't smoke that much on startup .... Not unless its something like a flat 4 that will leave a bit of oil in the top end almost by design. None of my old shitboxes smoke to any extent on startup (all of which will be a similar engine design to the poogoe).

seeya,
Shane L.

Ah at least on here such disputes and contests never cost real money - far better if you have good neighbours and they also have good neighbours, so pays to work out some compromise. If you can't,, try and head off the dispute is my gratuitous advice...better in the long run.

ken