203/403 starter motor

tok403

Fellow Frogger
Are the 203 and 403 ringgear/starter motor gog the same. My 203 starter motor has chewed its drive teeth out, its is driving a 403 ringgear. Or is the cable not pulling it far enough into engage the ring gear? Any ideas greatly appreciated I really don’t want to fit a 403 starter.

Yes, the starter motors most common on a 203, (Ducel 366 or Paris Rhone D10L, 9 tooth pinion) are compatible with the 403 flywheel ring gear of 110 teeth, same same 203. From your description, sounds as though it is/was not fully engaging the ring gear.

Attachments

• 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Yes, the starter motors most common on a 203, (Ducel 265 or Ducel 321, 9 tooth pinion) are compatible with the 403 flywheel ring gear of 110 teeth, same same 203. From your description, sounds as though it is/was not fully engaging the ring gear.
Yes thanks it’s what I thought they are same and for what ever reason not engaging will have to ensure I pull cable all the way out.

I have the cable pull/no solenoid system. I did had a starter done up but the contact part on top was worn so i was pulling cable out of housing to get to contact and u had to pull it hard which would eventually break cable. Sp i am just wondering what in your case would cause the drive to not throw out far enough?

Forgot to mention in previous reply, if you move the arm up 5mm - 10mm, (see white mark on cable) this usually overcomes the problem. The cable does tend to stretch somewhat over time depending on use. Other main thing, make sure the cable is kept well lubricated within the outer sheath, eye dropper with a bit of ATF works wonders. Another thing to have a squizz at if it's not keen to kick is the contacts, only hassle is motor has to come out, and into the vice on the bench for this little clean up.

Attachments

• 203 starter cable.JPG
    203 starter cable.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 203 starter contact dirty.JPG
    203 starter contact dirty.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 157
  • 203 starter contacts  cleaned.JPG
    203 starter contacts cleaned.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 203 starter contacts aligned.JPG
    203 starter contacts aligned.JPG