203 /403 CAM TIMING

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
I am aware of setting cam timing whereby two extra tappets are placed in the tappet bore. They should be level at TDC.
To convince myself that this is correct I need to know cam specs . Does anyone have this information?
Degree wheel and dial gauge ready.

Thanks,
Norm

Make sure that the combined height of the two tappet stacks is equal. Will work if the cam has symmetrical timing.

When #1 is at TDC, both valves are closed, adjust tappets, on #4, the exhaust valve will just be closing and the intake valve will just be opening, etc etc

I seem to recall from a long time ago those motors had an unusual way to set the timing with a add-on arm or some special tool.
We set up one using first principles of the tappets rocking on *1 at TDC but the customer said it did not go as well as it did before ! I forget now what we did then but possibly they found a person with the correct tool or knowledge to re-set it correctly and they were happy. They were using it for club/street racing fitted in a Sprite ??
You people probably know what is in the manuals; https://www.franzose.de/en/Peugeot/203-403/books/1 page 28
Peugeot 403 cam setting method and tool .jpg

I do remember thinking the cam timings were obviously not symmetrical.
For what that old memory is worth ?
This guy does it like this !
Jaahn

The Peugeot 404/504 way of valve clearance adjustment was as follows: EXHAUST FULLY OPEN. EXH adj INL adj. 1. 4. 3. 3. 2. 4. 4. 1. 2. 2. 3. 1. So the adjustment sequence follows the firing order,(for inlet valve adjustment)by following the exhaust valve opening,as above no,1(at flywheel) exhaust valve fully open adjust opposing exhaust valve (no4) and inlet valve to be adjusted is next in firing order from fully open exhaust valve,so after 4 ,2 is the next to fire so no2 inlet to be adjusted.turn engine over by hand until next in firing order on exhaust valve side is fully open ,as in left column above,so no3 exh open adjust opposing exhaust valve,no3 and inlet to be adjusted is next in firing order from fully open exh valve which is no 4 inlet as in right column above.this procedure allows the cam follower of valve being adjusted to be at the lowest point on back of cam . hopefully not too confusing…jim

Graham, thanks for the reminder to ensure each pair of tappets is the same length.
I will set the timing this way but would still like to check by having actual can specs.
e.g. Amount of inlet lift at TDC or cam timing e.g. 20/60 : 60/20
Setting valve clearances is no problem.

NS