2017 Peugeot 2008 battery

mndbrwn

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi, we purchased a 2017 Peugeot 2008 for our daughter about a month ago. This morning she couldn’t start it. So she borrowed my pug to go to work. She has just returned home. We think it is the battery and trying to jump start it from my car. Nothing is happening! I cannot find in the service book that the original battery has been replaced. the battery is pretty much enclosed. It there anywhere we can find a date on it?
thanks
Mandy

Many manufacturers put the date of manufacture on somewhere inaccessible, like at the bottom.

One clue that it's original will be the maker's name and any code number if you can see that. For example both my Citroens came from new with French Exides, which are not available in Australia.

Sometimes the original battery is branded with the car maker's name. Unfortunately so is an imported replacement sold from a dealership.

However If the battery is failing you should still be able to jump start the car and have it running from a good battery. I suspect something else is involved.

PS. When you jump start, you can see the battery +ve terminal with its flap (don't disconnect) but possibly not the -ve, hidden under the maxifuses etc. You will have to use a metal part of the engine for the earth.

The handbook will tell you how to jump start and replace a battery. A quick check is to measure the battery voltage. If it's something like 9.5V, it has probably shorted a cell. 6 years is very good service for a battery these days, so it seems the likely fault. The production date will be melted into the top of the case on the original battery.
If you haven't already or are not sure, check if it has a long extended warranty as some of those had up to 8 years and probably included extended roadside cover too. It won't cover a battery now, but might help if there is some other issue at fault.

Yes, it was less than 10.2! The auto electrician came around on Tuesday and said it was the original battery. He ordered a new one and it was fitted Friday. One very happy daughter (and mother)! Thank you everyone for your assistance. Now it looks like it needs a replacement timing belt. Apparently, it was supposed to be replaced at 6 years or 100,000. It has 75,000 on the odometer. I contacted Peugeot Australia, but the VIN is not included in the recalls, even though it’s a 2017 model. Can anyone help me why? Thanks.

It may have been through an earlier and similar recall (called JZR) or it may simply not be affected by what the recalls are intending to address. If you search the internet for your VIN it may come up in a list of affected vehicles on the govt's recall website. Or you can look for the listing that was released when that recall was announced via www.productsafety.gov.au. Your local dealer can look up the history.

The timing belt on the 1.2lt 3 cyl has a 6 year 90K change interval with servicing every 15K/12 months. A dealer would use Total HTC 5W30 oil, but if you do your own servicing the only other oil that is likely to be readily available in Australia and certified to the Peugeot B71 2297 standard will be Mobil 1 ESP 5W30. Other oils claim they meet this standard. At each service a gauge also is used to check the state of the timing belt.

If you find your VIN was part of the JZR recall, you want to find out whether the timing belt was replaced as it may mean you can defer your change. In the absence of any information showing the belt has been recently replaced, it's probably time to change it. The 6y/90K change is just for the belt, not the tensioner and roller. You want the latest belt from Peugeot. Dealers have an updated tool kit that reduces the amount of work and saves removal of the injectors, fuel pump and cast aluminium lower cylinder head cover. Some non-dealer workshops may have this tooling also.