2012 Renault Koleos tailgate bottom door latch.

Swannie

Tadpole
The latch on bottom door broke and in the closed/locked position. In the process of removing it the back plate ,with 3 studs, dropped and disappeared into a cavity. I am stuck as I cannot see it. Does anybody have an idea of how I can retrieve it?

Could you try a magnetic pick up tool, assuming it is a steel plate?

Jo

Thanx for reply. It is a steel plate but so is everything around it. Magnet get stuck on everything. I now consider cutting the cavity open. Before I do that I will wait a few days hoping someone will come up with another idea.

What about one of those flexible claw devices used for grabbing parts? I know you can't see it but I'm just making a suggestion.

Thanx for reply. It is a steel plate but so is everything around it. Magnet get stuck on everything. I now consider cutting the cavity open. Before I do that I will wait a few days hoping someone will come up with another idea.
Well yes, that is bound to happen in a car made of steel.
Don't give up so easily.
My pick up tool is a flexible metal shaft with a (rare earth) magnet on the end.
If the magnet is not perpendicular to the metal the attraction is not enough to bind up the tool.

https://www.tradetools.com/product-...MIn9by6piU5gIVjDgrCh3oYwU0EAQYAyABEgI8gvD_BwE

You might also like to invest in an endoscope.
They're pretty cheap these days if you get one that plugs into your smartphone and the quality is adequate - good.
Makes life easier if you need to look in hard to get-at places.
If you can get your magnetic pickup on the plate it should pick up.

Give me a photo of where it is approx.
I have a spare tailgate (yours is still a series 1 so will be the same) and I can give you images of what is below.
Maybe we can nut it out?

The tailgate is pretty simple and apart from the latch there's nothing else in there.
If you can't get an endoscope, try a small mirror stuck in position with a wad of blue-tack.
(If you've got kids, ask one of them to have a go at getting the plate. They can get where no adult can).

I wouldn't be cutting the tailgate open under any circumstances. If I couldn't retrieve the original plate I'd be going to the wreckers and getting another plate and leaving that one that's fallen where it is.

View attachment Koleos MR421 Trim & Upholstery 25.pdfView attachment Koleos MR421 Trim & Upholstery 26.pdf

Cheers
RTT