2012 508 GT Alternator

metulmykul

VIP Paid Subscriber
Tadpole
Greetings knowledgeable all.
Got a battery charge, stop on the display yesterday.
It was peeing down so so it was all on everything. Drove on to get home. Turned everything off, dash cleared 2 mins later.

Same deal today except it wasn't p$ssing down. Everything off, failed to clear.

Probed battery whilst running, only shows 11.8
About to scan but have to charge laptop.

Any known issues? 148k km. Battery change about 2 years ago...

Lexia doesn't want to play at the moment but pretty sure alt is cactus. Parts hard to come by apparently and eai are $840 + GST.

Any other ideas on sourcing?

Lexia doesn't want to play at the moment but pretty sure alt is cactus. Parts hard to come by apparently and eai are $840 + GST.

Any other ideas on sourcing?
Are you any good with your hand? they can be fixed at home or maybe an auto sparkie is willing to have a go for you.

You want to read the logged fault codes as the alternator could be OK and the problem is elsewhere. Alternators often fail due to worn brushes and the slip rings eventually wear through. Or the one-way pulley jams. If you can DIY, it's worth checking the brushes before condemning the alternator. Also, I expect this model has a supply and protection module at the battery (lots of fusible links and some bespoke relays inside) and this can keep the electronics awake and drain the battery. This part failing may reveal itself as a bad supply relay fault code.

Thanks all.
Having trouble reading codes. Sees like neither party wants to talk to each other. They ackowledge each others presence but refuse to chat.
Yeah i was sort of hoping it might be like whip the brushes out, turn ém around and go for another however long. But i doubt that. David's post above sort of confirms it.
Battery doesn't appear to be draining when sitting but isn't charging when driving.

I've got it booked in at an Auto electrician in at Launceston on friday. Hopefully he can narrow it down, that's assuming i can make the 45 min trip in there!

Last edited:
Just checked prestige and they have a Valeo for $630. Woo hoo happy days Cheers
Hi mate, you may have sorted it by now but I did spot an early 508 GT being wrecked on gumtree just last week. Good luck

Hey thanks
Hi mate, you may have sorted it by now but I did spot an early 508 GT being wrecked on gumtree just last week. Good luck
Thanks Cole, I'll suss it out. Won't know the whether it's a repair or replacement until late next week.