2011 - 2012 Peugeot 508 Ownership

quark98

Tadpole
I'm planning to get 2011 - 2012 Peugeot 508 but I have several doubts about the car. I have never owned French car, so I have no experience and knowledge about it's reliability and maintenance costs. I also would like to know the recommendation workshop for servicing Peugeot in Perth area just in case I get it in nearly future. I open for any suggestion :)

Welcome. Do you have a preference for petrol or diesel? It will help people to reply.

The 2.0 HDI diesel is one of the most reliable modern engines. It is coupled to a 6 speed auto from Aisin in Japan (used by several different car makers), which drives very smoothly and gives few problems until old age. For the years 2011-2012 it will have the letters RHH at position 6 in the VIN. It uses a catalyst to clean the exhaust, which usually lasts about 160,000 km before a refill. It does not use Adblue as used in current models.

Correct service parts are quite economical, provided you get them from one of the independent importers. The diesel is very particular about its oil spec, and several brands have complying product.

They are solidly built vehicles. The electronic and computer components are by Bosch (ie, like all the German machines) and the RHH diesel injection system is by Delphi from the US.

I have a 2012 508 diesel (90,000km) and a 2015 Diesel (40,000km).
Both are reliable and not expensive to service (I use an independent service shop).
I get 1000km min. from a tank of diesel.
Exceptionally well appointed for the price.
Like most (all) makes I would look at sourcing some parts myself as the legacy dealers will gouge you given a chance (although in my experience they can learn a thing or two from Audi and Subaru, as those guys take gouging to an art form).
Having said that, things like brake replacement (discs and pads) are in line with costs on similar vehicles.
As someone new to French cars, you are about to enter a marque of excellent highway ability and terrific comfort. Not criteria important to motor journo’s these days who focus on how quick they will take you ‘round a race circuit!
I am not aware of what cars you’ve previously owned, but I doubt you will be disappointed in a 508 (407...a different story).

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

I'm aiming to get the 2.0 HDi. I've done some research about it's transmission, many people says the transmission still using conventional automatic transmission. Does the transmission works reliably? I also heard mostly French cars have many issues on electrical segment..

My current car is 1999 Mercedes Benz E240. It's an old benz that works reliably. I've bought 2 years ago and I've done nearly 100k. The reason me to switch is I need a bigger boot since I moves house quite often.

The transmission is a very smooth conventional torque converter type from Japan. Many vehicle makers use it; see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC It does not have a bad reliability record, rather it is one of the better current transmissions.

As I mentioned, the computer and electrical system is by Robert Bosch of Germany, and it can be found on all the German makes of cars, with the same reliability. The 2.0 HDI diesel system is by Delphi, a gigantic firm spun off General Motors when GM got into financial difficulties years ago. This system gives little trouble on normal usage.

The talk about French electrics is largely nonsense, as they are German. French cars pioneered some of these bus systems and there were teething problems then. That was 18 years ago, and not on a 508. Like all new European cars (Merc, VW, Volvo, Audi, etc) there are now several computers and a digital bus multiplexed electrical system, and so more complex than your old Mercedes. Diagnosis of problems by mechanics requires a computer code reader.