2009 308 2.0 HDi auto - not auto changing into 6th gear sometimes

xlink_nz

Fellow Frogger
Has anyone else had this issue?

If I change to manual I can put it into 6 but when accerating in auto won't make it change (so far)

Ours has done 173K

PS: Our last car inspection said that the Front Suspension Sway Bar link has play developing likewise the Front suspension Mount has play developing, does this make sense and both may require attention soon. Does this make sense?

Is it a big job or simply tighening something?

Last edited:
Do you mean at any speed it won't go into 6th? Or up to about 100km/h it holds 5th indefinitely, then when you go a little faster it'll change up (say, at 105+)?

The gearbox tries to maintain torque efficiency, about 2000 rpm. This may mean no change to 6th until the vehicle speed rises.

I'm not sure which mounts are in question. Suspension lower mount rubbers eventually need replacing. If you haven't done it before, then it has its moments. It can be easier to change the whole arm. Replacing top mounts needs the drive shaft disconnected and the spring compressed. The actual joint has a ball bearing mounted above the strut. If you don't have the tools and aren't confident let a mechanic do it.

Drop links tend to go much earlier (and often) and are an easy fix. The ball joints wear and you will hear a distinct rattle.. They aren't expensive from EAI and the like.

Remove the wheel and note the link attached to the anti-sway bar. There is a ball joint on each end. It will be under tension with the wheel hanging, so raise the hub with a jack or other suitable device until the load on the link has gone. There is a nut on each link joint. If you look carefully the stud has a hollow centre, either hex or torx, for a tool to stop it turning, which is inserted inside your ring spanner. Remove and replace.

Last edited:
Do you mean at any speed it won't go into 6th? Or up to about 100km/h it holds 5th indefinitely, then when you go a little faster it'll change up (say, at 105+)?

The gearbox tries to maintain torque efficiency, about 2000 rpm. This may mean no change to 6th until the vehicle speed rises.

TQ for the replies :) (including the comprehensive reply from seasink on the other possible issues)

Yes when for example the car is at 100kph it won't change into 6th even when I increase to 100kph and say 2500+rpm

I'll do some more road tests and push it past 110kph/2500rpm and see if it changes, any ideas?

is it a full auto - or the automated manual EGS ( aka MCE ?) because i think those 'learn' how you want to be driving ... maybe keep it in manual for a while, running through ratios, changing closer to 1750, and it might just get the idea.
(ours doesn't like to be in 6th below that /85 kph)

Last edited:
Yes, had the same problem in a 2012 308 hdi. Bought the car 2 weeks ago.Went to a tyre dealer, found that the rears were not matching brands, and the fronts had uneven wear. Put a new pair of Goodyears on the front, rear now has matching pair and it pops into 6th really smoothly, even before I get on the freeway

Yes, had the same problem in a 2012 308 hdi. Bought the car 2 weeks ago.Went to a tyre dealer, found that the rears were not matching brands, and the fronts had uneven wear. Put a new pair of Goodyears on the front, rear now has matching pair and it pops into 6th really smoothly, even before I get on the freeway

TQ for the reply

Are you saying the mismatching tyres was the cause of no auto shift into 6th from 5th?!
We have 'mismatching' tyres on the rear too (same spec just different brands)

NB: The dealership said the suspension was not an issue. On the transmission issue said no codes or bulletins and suggested a TCU upgrade as that a) may fix it or b) cause a code to generate

308 auto

In my case it appears that there was sufficient vibration caused by unmatched tyres to make the transmission work harder, before it could relax into 6th overdrive. Before the new tyres it certainly had a harsh feel on the freeway, which I initially thought was just the low profile 17 inch tyres. With the 2 new ones, the whole car drives very smoothly, and changes up easily. I did not take it to a dealer for code checking.

In my case it appears that there was sufficient vibration caused by unmatched tyres to make the transmission work harder, before it could relax into 6th overdrive. Before the new tyres it certainly had a harsh feel on the freeway, which I initially thought was just the low profile 17 inch tyres. With the 2 new ones, the whole car drives very smoothly, and changes up easily. I did not take it to a dealer for code checking.

Interesting, were your mismatched tyres just different tread pattern with the same specification e.g. 225/45/R17 or completely different spec?

Interesting, were your mismatched tyres just different tread pattern with the same specification e.g. 225/45/R17 or completely different spec?

The 2 rears were totally different brands, certainly not well known ones, they were the correct size and profile, but different speed ratings, both less than the recommended ratings. Front were both Hankook Optimo 91V, and they are now on the back. Tyre guy said they had uneven wear, but seem to be OK on yhe rear. Size is 225/45/R17 91V

Never rains here

Gone but not forgotten C5 x7 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Local dealership saw no codes for the issue where the auto trans doesn't automatically go from 5th to 6th anymore and wanted to upgrade the transmission computer to see if that would allow a code to be generated

Has anyone heard of an upgrade of the gear box computer only and was it a big job?

Could low trans fluid also be a cause?

Last edited:
Is it the physical computer they want to replace, or is it a software upgrade?

Assuming a software upgrade, then drawing on IT systems experience, the documentation for each component should specify the minimum version number required for each other component with which it interacts.

A recent personal example occurred when I tried to install MyGovID (a new Federal Govt authentication app) on my mobile phone. I have actually had to buy a new phone, as the old one could not be upgraded to the minimum level required by MyGovID (Android 7 from memory).

So I would ask the workshop if the ECU software level meets the minimum required by the new version of the Transmission computer software. Assuming it does, then the proposed upgrade should be fine. In fact this applies whether they are physically replacing the computer, or upgrading the software.

Cheers

Alec

could the computer wigging out because the differing circumference of the miss matched tyres ,are being picked up by the wheel sensors ,,form my experience even the same tyres with different amounts of wear can cause problems, pugs

I've seen this before. Make sure the tyres are the same size AND brand front and rear. Seems odd but I have had personal experience with different brand tyres creating issues. Changed then to be the same and voila. Went into sixth. Happened numerous occasions.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I've seen this before. Make sure the tyres are the same size AND brand front and rear. Seems odd but I have had personal experience with different brand tyres creating issues. Changed then to be the same and voila. Went into sixth. Happened numerous occasions.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Second that and tyre pressure as well

The same problem (hanging onto 5th gear) appeared in my slushbox Koleos diesel auto from new. I found that on long interstate trips sitting on 120 kmh the transmission would drop into 6th and stay there, but under that speed, say 110 km/h it would chose 5th or 6th. Interestingly I noticed that a good headwind seems to prevent the use of 6th gear at 100km/h on a local highway. Only thing I can think of is that the electronics are designed to use 6th as a cruising gear and that if circumstances aren't ideal it works out it will save fuel by using a few more revs in 5th gear. Your car's electronic controls might be thinking the same!

@Armidillo, @young 4 old pug, @dmccurtayne & @pugwash

TQ for the replies, my pug hasn't had matching rear and front tyres for over 4 years, the rear mismatch was because a puncture couldn't be repaired and a match with the good tyre was no longer available manufactured

I usually run at 38 psi found and rear

I'll see if my local (good) tyre shop can match the rears as a test only or even put the existing matching fronts on the rear as a test

I"ll also see if a dealership have heard of this issue better still whether PSA have issued a notice on it.

NB: The mooted upgrade by one dealer was software to the trans computer only.