2008 Picasso questions

cam740

Fellow Frogger
I'm looking at possibly purchasing a 2008 Picasso diesel, it's done 200k km and just wondering if there is anything I need to be particularly wary of? Looking for something with a bit of space , to do the drive to and from work (80km each way) that will hopefully be fairly economical, but still have enough grunt to climb Willunga hill without any issues
So please, tell me anything that I need to be wary of??
Cheers

Probably should be wary of the fact that it is a 13 year old car that has done 200k km - unless you have full ownership and service history! Friends of ours who had one liked the clever interior design etc but experienced electrical gremlins and problems with the ESG gearbox. A quick google of reviews tells a similar story...

as above - noting re a 2013 model over 230000 km ( and just waiting for a quote on the A/C compressor which may well make it not worth persisting ie throwing good money after bad ) we have apparently been very lucky with that gearbox ... also that handbrake, that 'radio', etc, etc ... they’re great to drive, and should be good in an accident.

Would a 2008 have the egs box? I thought that would be the Aisin (Japanese) box for that year? Regardless, it pay to check which box as they are completely different. The AW6 is used across many brands including Mazda and Honda; having said that there is an issue with the solenoids don't shift as well as they should which them places additional strain on the box to the point of destroying itself. It seems frequent fluid changes does help extend the life of these transmissions. That would be the RHR engine and was a peach in my 2009 C5 so check water pump and timing belt are done (service record will tell you).

Would a 2008 have the egs box? I thought that would be the Aisin (Japanese) box for that year? Regardless, it pay to check which box as they are completely different. The AW6 is used across many brands including Mazda and Honda; having said that there is an issue with the solenoids don't shift as well as they should which them places additional strain on the box to the point of destroying itself. It seems frequent fluid changes does help extend the life of these transmissions. That would be the RHR engine and was a peach in my 2009 C5 so check water pump and timing belt are done (service record will tell you).
Thanks Nigel, i was thinking the 2008 would be the Aisin trans, is there anyway to tell?? Carsales lists it as a 6 speed auto, mentions nothing about the EGS (which it does on the later models)
Add has been amended to note that it has an "intermittent issue" with 3rd, so likely going to need a gearbox rebuild at some point in the near future.

Is there anyway to tell if its a EGS or Aisin???

Most photos of cockpit have visible through wheel either R(N)AM - robotised manual - or the usual PRNDM of a full auto

Can't get the VIN? That should establish some certainty...

This is from the car facts sheet

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210416-095225_Carsales.jpg
    Screenshot_20210416-095225_Carsales.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 89
And here is an extract from Service Box:

Vehicle characteristics
Vehicle familyC4 PICASSO
AS RPO No11291 FV 2 0486
Guarantee Start Date21/12/2007
Engine serial number10 DYVM 4033486
arrow-down.gif
General information
PRODUCT TYPEPASSENGER CAR
COMMERCIAL MARQUE/COMPONENT TYPECITROEN
VEHICLE FAMILYC4 PICASSO
SILHOUETTEESTATE - LEISURE
TRIM LEVELHIGH MEDIUM PLUS
ENGINEDIESEL TURBO DW10BTED4 FAP
TRANSMISSION6-SPEED AUTOMATIC GEARBOX
PAINT TYPENON-METALLIC PAINT
BODY COLOUREXY - ONYX BLACK PAINT
INTERIOR TRIM TYPELEATHER CLAUDIA L019 + EDGING MISTRAL L019 "QL"
UPHOLSTERY COLOUR"FE"
GEARBOX (CHARACTERISTICS)BVA AM6C1
ENGINE (TYPE)EW/DW
OTHER BADGE, " MISC. "EXCLUSIVE
BADGEWITHOUT BADGE

Thanks everyone. Drove it this afternoon and it had a pretty bad rumble from.the rear end which makes me pretty nervous.
Other than that it was actually really cool to drive, went well, really comfortable and the wife was amazed at how loaded the interior was.

that does look gorgeous in the photos, so your restraint is impressive.
was it imported from Japan did you notice? i associated things like the upholstery with their market - also this and another one recently have assemblies i thought came with later iterations, is all ....
the noise could be as easy as tyres ... but there was a fancy suspension that was something to watch.

Last edited:
The "fancy suspension" fnqvmuch refers to is that some Picasso's came with Citroen hyrdraulic self leveling suspension in the rear. By memory it was an option but having had a C5 with that suspension I can't imagine how you'd get a grumble from the rear. I would suggest tyres or perhaps bearings.

I too wondered if it was possibly bearings, was lots louder at 90 than it was at 60..
When we turned the engine off after the test drive there was a realllyy loud grumbling noise from the rear, so thst had me wondering about hydraulic suspension as well.
The rear is bloody low

Its body is a bit rough, but gee the interior is just plain stunning

Picasso pneumatic (not hydraulic) rear suspension is to provide automatic height control and vibration filtering. If fitted it is easy to spot - two pneumatic springs and a centrally mounted electric pump
technos_suspension_pneumatique_mur.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for the tip Armidillo.
et v'la:
"...
SUSPENSION NORMAL SUSPENSION
SUSPENSION (ARCHITECTURE TYPE) FRONT SUSPENSION METAL
REAR PNEUMATIC
..."
( swapping to metal rear not uncommon, looking at UK sites )

Last edited: