2006 206 XR 2 Door - what engine? and what next?

NZ_Mi16

Fellow Frogger
Hi all, long time no post...

I've recently acquired a 2006 206 XR 2 door manual that needs some TLC - I'm planning on getting it all up and running over the next year or so ready for my step daughter to learn to drive.

In my quest to start researching what I need to do, I am trying to figure out what engine it has - redbook (I know they aren't always right) tells me it's a TU5JP4 (https://www.redbook.com.au/cars/details/2006-peugeot-206-xr-manual-my06/SPOT-ITM-266010?Cr=0) however I can't find any info that they made this as a 1.4ltr

It looks visually like a TU3JP based on my searching, but I would like to verify to make sure I order the parts when I need to.

The story of the car is that it was purchased by a mechanic after a HG failure, he repaired it but wasn't aware the car had cylinder liners (I'm not sure if he disturbed them, or something went wrong) and after putting it all back together, gave up - it sat for a while, and then when chatting to his dad one day I talked about looking for a project to work on with my step daughter, and well, now I have a 206 in my shed.

It's been sitting for a while, and I haven't been able to get any real info on what's going wrong or what needs to be done, so I spent some time cleaning out the cooling system, checking for leaks and topping up fluids.

I figured I would get it running and see if there was any oil in the coolant/vice versa and what happened (figuring if I need to tear down the engine anyway I may as well see whats up)

So after getting it oiled up and fresh coolant in, it started first time and ran smoothly - I only ran it for a few minutes as I will re-bleed the cooling system and double check fluids again.

But the second part of my question is, if it runs smoothly and I can't see any evidence of a head gasket leak, will it actually need any work? Is there something else I should be checking?

Can you post letters 6-7-8 of the VIN (the engine code)? Then we will know for certain. The TU3 is a 1.4; the TU5 is a 1.6.