2005 C5 Auto Hatch 2.2 HDi Starter Motor

Monamee

Tadpole
I am searching for subject one. Any advice or help much appreciated. Are these SMs common to other make/models? I am hearing the "click" noise but SM not running, which I think indicates solenoid is throwing but SM windings worn or the solenoid - SM connection is kaput.

Jaylec make a cheap non repairable starter usually available at Burton or similar

Check positive connection at starter end us not loose.

I've got a new one here trhat may fit. You need to get the model of the unit that is actually on your car. The 2.2 has a less common starter than other C5s I think.

Tap the starter motor with a hammer while someone else is holding the key to try to make the car start.
If this works and the car starts, you probably have worn brushes in the starter motor.
Any auto-elec with enough grey hairs will be able to replace the brushes.

I dismantled the Valeo starter and there was a lot of black greasy contaminate inside, the commutator was scored across the segments and the brushes very worn. I cleaned & bench tested & refitted it. I only got the "click" on start so I questioned the battery. I attached some jumper leads off a 4WD and tried again this time I didn't even get the "click" of the solenoid. The jump leads had surge protection. I charged the battery, still nothing. In the meantime, I located a used Jaylec starter, which I fitted, still nothing. I did a voltage check on the solenoid terminal .. No voltage. I became apparent using the jump leads did something to the EMC. After checking it out, I found the 25A starter control fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse and checked again. I recovered the click but no starter. Next I will check for voltage drop to the + pole of the starter motor & to ground. If those checks are OK, I will test with a very new battery. If no improvement, I will take the Valeo unit to an AutoLec to assess if a set of new brushes will solve the problem. The problem might be elsewhere in the starter circuitry however, I am leaning towards two dud starter motor/s.

Thanks everyone for your offers and advice, I will post an update after some more testing

The VALEO unit is 20D5 D8R27.

we just replaced a starter on my sons Peugeot 307 ,same no go ,the fuse was blown ,replace fuse .no probs all working now , my peugeot mechanic says ,not unusual for old starters to draw more current then blow the fuse ,PUGS

I did a voltage drop test to the + post on the starter. The indications are no power to starter (solenoid OK)... worrying bit is during test 25A starter fuse blew. Replaced fuse and tried new battery ... no success . I am not 100% confident in the integrity of voltage drop test or the serviceability of the installed starter... would be good to have a known working starter installed.

i must admit we were working on a peugeot but i dont think the fuse we replaced was that big ,have you checked all the fuses maybe there is a control circuit that energises a rely that has a blown fuse ,check your owners manual

Yes, checked all the fuses there was only one blown (trying to find a replacement in the auto stores was surprisingly difficult, JAYCAR saved the day. As a last resort I swapped out the solenoid despite it tested as functioning and applied some contact cleaner to the commutator/brushes and it started. I know not if it was the contact cleaner or replacement of the solenoid that resolved the issue however, I won't be swapping the solenoid again just to find out!