2004 Peugeot 307 AL4 Automatic Gearbox Issue

dukbilt1

Fellow Frogger
Hello everyone,

I went to search the forum for the tricks to resolving AL4 woes - but the posts have gone! What happened?

So, I have recently had a couple of issues where the gearbox has shifted out of 4th (twice in exactly the same spot in exactly the same journey, followed by another event today on a completely different route).

Each time I have simply turned the car off and then on again, then continued on my way with no further issue, but there is an issue I wish to resolve. I gather the first thing to do would be to top up the oil - what's the slippery stuff of choice?

Is it worth changing filters at the same time?

Is it worthwhile attempting to replace solenoids as well?

Thanks,

Ewan

Have you had it scanned do you have p06 line pressure fault

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

I’m down in Newcastle if you need help

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

I've got a good AL4 from a 2 litre Xsara available, not expensive but in Melbourne.

It looks like it has the P06 failure, as well as P26 (Injection Throttle Potentiometer?):

Permanent fault. Fault in pressure regulation (Variation / recommendation) .
fault code : 06
fault appearance counter : 2
engine speed : 2048 rpm
turbine speed : 2048 rpm
AUTOMATIC GEARBOX OUTPUT : 2272 rpm
oil pressure : 3.65 bar(s)
guide pressure : 3.6 bar(s)
gear engaged : 4 locked up
Position of the gear lever : D
converter : de-bypassed
output EVM : activated
OIL TEMPERATURE : 45 deg. C
accelerator position : 14 %
engine torque theoretical CAN : 86 Nm
control unit supply voltage : 13.9 Volt(s)

Remote permanent fault. Injection throttle potentiometer (CAN). No signal.
fault code : 26
fault appearance counter : 2
engine speed : 2048 rpm
turbine speed : 2048 rpm
AUTOMATIC GEARBOX OUTPUT : 2272 rpm
oil pressure : 3.65 bar(s)
guide pressure : 3.6 bar(s)
gear engaged : 4 locked up
Position of the gear lever : D
converter : de-bypassed
output EVM : activated
OIL TEMPERATURE : 45 deg. C
accelerator position : 14 %
engine torque theoretical CAN : 86 Nm
control unit supply voltage : 13.9 Volt(s)

That second fault is pretty standard after a p06 valves and oil needed

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

A couple of questions:

1. Is it possible/recommended to remove the AL4 gearbox cover without removing the radiator when replacing solenoids?

2. Is it possible/recommended to use the old gearbox seal when refitting the AL4 gearbox cover?

Thanks,

Ewan

Yes and yes

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

The other thing 2 check as my wife's C5 with AL4 is to check the neutral position switch on top to the gearbox is set correctly by measuring 0 ohms across the 2 terminals. My wifes doesn't and no adjustment fixes the issue but I have a spare switch to install when I get around to it. We just live with this issue after rebuilding the AL4.

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

I have a perfectly good AL4 available if anyone needs one. Out of a 2003 XSara 2 litre which was rear ended.

Diff ratios and emission references need to be confirmed before you buy a second hand box they are all different

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

You will need to confirm auto box number stamped to the outer case, wheel cover removed and case cleaned off to read it.
Usually 6 alpha- numerical characters.

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

So - over the last month or so, I have:

1. Performed part fluid changes. Penrite ATF was on special! No great change. Original fluid was a morbid grey colour.

2. Changed the valves - thanks to advice from this forum, and dmccurtayne for his insight and the valves themselves. It took about 4 hours in my garage but the job wasn't particularly difficult.

The car runs like a dream now - thank you everyone!

Have you had it scanned do you have p06 line pressure fault

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Are you a mechanic? I live in Sydney but travel to Newy quite often to visit family. Looking for someone to work on my 307.

Dave McCurtayne is a retired mechanic (who BTW has not been active on this forum for the last couple of months). Plenty of people on here that will be happy to help with advice if you decide to have a go yourself.

Thanks for the reply. I’m new here and maybe you can direct me to the correct sections of this forum. Here is my story:

I’ve inherited a nice Pug 307 2.0L petrol automatic. Have removed all error codes except for P 0104?? Pollution fault. I’ve narrowed it down to the EGR valve.

1) How the hell do I get to the EGR valve on a 2 litre without having to drop the engine?

2) Trying to replace the rocker cover gasket. How do I remove the plastic cam sensor nut without busting it? Its the white plastic one.

3) Need to repair or replace the air bent blending arm under the dash. Can’t find the last couple of attachments to get to the little bugger.

4) Now the trickiest one - the transmission. It’s flaring in 1st and 2nd gear. Really bad. Was quoted cost to rebuild $4.5K. Much more than the car is worth I think. Thought I found one from wreckers but the ba#%*rds have ripped me off. Paid money up front. No gearbox after 6 weeks. Was hoping to try and find someone who could do a rebuild without having to donate a kidney.

Appreciate any help or advice.