2004 Peugeot 206 Gti 180

timzzzster

Tadpole
G'day guys!

Just recently been approved to this cool forum! Thanks admins! you all :headbang:!

First things first. I am quite new here in Australia and I had the car just over a month ago. My first French hatchback car and it drives cool. I usually would opt for Hondas but this rally inspired hatch had me at hello.

btw, Im originally from the Philippines. Is there any fellow Filipinos here?

I am looking forward to modding my car. It's all stock right now. Here are my planned mods sorted out by priority:

1. Coilover suspension kit - planning on getting BR version of BC racing (as I had these set on my previous car)
2. Air induction kit - k&n or pipercross?
3. Exhaust - janspeed?

Your comments, suggestions, recommendations and criticisms would be appreciated. If you have any contacts to any reputable shops/technicians who can do the job well, hoping you could share (and some discounts, if there are any) :)

Thanks heaps guys! hope to meet you soon!

Meet my humble puggy...

IMG_3179.jpg

Hi guys! thanks for the warm welcome. Hope to know more about this car.

@miketippett: Thank you! :)

@grey_lover: Yes, it is! Enjoying the stock ride.

@speaksgeek: wow that's quite a lot of bucks to burn! you got a souped up 180 there. how many kWs is yours currently running? i like your mods. maybe years from now lol :wink2:

G'day tim,
mine is standard, and it goes alright. It will beat almost anything at the lights, providing you are ready, [the element of surprise].
Life starts at 3 and gets better at 5. Try it, and you will understand. ..Not on a double points weekend.:pugplak::pugplak:

We have a 206 GTI , great car and so reliable.
A bit harsh , the suspension but on smooth roads it good.

I had a 206CC which i think had a 180 engine in it .
So much fun!
Cornered like mad.
Great car.

got ur self a great little car there, had my one since new and tried some mods over the years only to have more fun in standard trim. fit some good brakes and spend the extra on tires and that's about all you should need. Had my one on the dyno a few years back and there was little change with exhaust and intake mods but it sounded nice.

have fun, mabey you can find a group that enjoy days that cant be discussed here anymore (drive days) and I think you will find the 180 is a great little hatch as it is.

edit: some good info here http://206gti.net/nsw/

Last edited:
thanks for the inputs, guys!

Question here: planning to do some brake/clutch fluid flushing. What would be the best DOT rating and brand for the 180? Also, will you consider upgrading the brake lines as well? (thinking of goodrigde ss lines)

thanks for the reply @speaksgeek. ill try motul then if ever i change brake lines. is the brake fluid separate from the clutch fluid? (i thought they have a common reservoir) also, will changing the engine bottom pulley (spoox brand) have a noticeable difference in performance?

ok i understand now. so, brakes and clutch are bled separately, right? but if i change the brake fluid to DOT 5.1, since they share the same reservoir, it will be shared to the clutch line as well (no bleeding needed there?)

ok so the bottom pulley will be a just a waste of money, then.

how about customizing the exhaust system? will it do any gains with a stock engine? just want the sound to be a bit louder and bassy

thanks again @speaksgeek! im learning here.

im considering buying a front upper strut. would you know if this would fit our 180?

Carbon Fibre Engine Strut BAR Brace Front Upper Peugeot 206 1999 2002 | eBay

I contacted the seller but he's unsure of the fitment. I would like to clarify this one before purchasing.
There's nothing that happened to the model in 2002 that should cause any issues with a strut brace. In mid to late 2003 it was updated cosmetically, with new lights and interior trims but nothing structural.

I've always thought most iterations of the 206 front strut brace (that involves drilling a large hole in the driver's side structure to get to the strut tower) looked a bit silly. The cabin air inlet tends to get in the way.

Hi there SLC206! :) yes, that's what i've thought off. but just to clarify some doubts better ask the experts first.

(as for the drilling , it wouldn't be having any effects on the chassis, right?)

here are some pics of the drilling that needs to be done. So, definitely this is a GO now?

drilledhole.jpgstrut.jpg

It's a burnt out bulb, not sure how it can be replaced.

As for upgrading the various bits, I suggest to keep it stock and only replace the parts if they need replacement. I've owned mine for 10.5 years since new, now it's at 57k km and still feels/drives like new. The only upgrade I did to mine was a Peugeot 607 short antenna instead of the standard one that hits the spoiler, and a rear parcel speaker shelf that I got from the dealership.

Performance/ride/handling improvement will all be minimal if not worse or at the expense of reliability- take it from someone who worked in the industry and had first hand experience in custom builds.

The air intake and exhaust in the 180 were researched and tuned to resonate at 90km/h in 5th. To get the same level of noise/resonance at lower speeds/rpms with a 3rd party exhaust means sacrificing a bit of efficiency/performance. Induction kits claim to increase performance, but I haven't seen one with more than the margin of error of the dynos.

Getting decent rubber and servicing it properly (quality oil, timing belt etc) will be the best money spent.

Just keep it tidy and it will turn heads, no amount of money spent on various upgrades will be worth it.

I did recently take it for a hoon up the Black Spur and surrounds in Melbourne, and I was reminded how fun it can be. All corners could be safely negotiated at 30+ above advisory, and that was without pushing at all on road rubber with a very comfortable margin for error.

G'day,
life begins, so I am told, at 5½.