2003 Peugeot 206 GTI (137)

SmithyEW

Tadpole
Hey everyone! Just thought I would put up a post to show you my project car. I joined this forum a little while back and haven't yet contributed anything. A little bit of info, I'm a young car enthusiast, still in school and the 206 GTI will be my first car on my P plates.

I bought the car early 2018 for $800 when I decided it was time that I took some action towards my passion for cars whilst aligning myself with my French stepfathers passion for racing. I decided that the 206 GTI would make a good first car and so it was purchased. Being the person I am, the car could not simply remain standard and so the modifications began....

My school presented the opportunity to bring in 4 cylinder engines to work on as an assessment in my Automotive class. Given the fact I had one sitting at home in my 206, I thought why not bring in the engine and rebuild it to learn more along the way. Just want to throw a big thanks out to all the members on this page who share their terrific knowledge of the 206 as it has helped me greatly throughout my build.

The engine was torn down completely at school. It was put into a big engine wash, the valves were re-cut, valve seats were re-faced and the whole engine was then painted as I not only wanted the the engine to perform a tad better, but also look nicer too. The covers were painted red, the block and sump were painted aluminium and the head was painted in matte black. After all this work was done and new parts were ready to be ordered so that the engine could be put back together, I decided that a little more power wouldn't hurt and so I purchased a pair of CatCams Fast Road Camshafts, followed by Wossner Forged Pistons lifting the compression ratio to 12.5:1. The cylinder head and block were then sent off to a local machining shop where the head and block surface was shaved and the cylinders were bored out from 85mm to 85.5mm to accommodate the new pistons. ARP head studs were then purchased to prevent any head lift as well as an Athena High Compression Head Gasket. Further parts were replaced such as the Timing Belt and belt pulleys, Clutch, Water Pump, all gaskets, seals and bearings, plus a few other things I have forgotten to mention.

Now the engine is in its final stage of completion as the timing belt and accessory belt are being installed and the engine bay is being prepped for the engines return with a bit of cleaning and painting.

Having issues with uploading photos as all my images seem to exceed the limits for uploading, apologies.

Cheers for reading, Smithy

That sounds great.
What are you going to use for ECU now that you've got big cams and compression?

Good stuff good to know young guys are still into it, just keep it wheels down [emoji106]

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

I have looked at quite a few ECU's for the car, lots of guys are using the Emerald and a few use the MegaSquirt V3. Though I think I will go for the VEMS V3 without the turbo options as I do not plan on running a turbo on this engine.

Before deciding on what ECU, go and talk to the tuner you’ll use and ask him what HE prefers.

1112.jpg