2002 206 gti ew12 engine swap

Dicanio

Tadpole
I purchased a 2002 206 gti rallye, when mechanics run the plate it comes back as a 206 gti RC180 the RC180 was not released until October of 2003, the badge on the back of my car says 206 RC200 and it also has the ew12 2.2 vvt engine, it all looks as if Peugeot are the people who fit the engine, as there is nothing in the paperwork of the swap being done by a previous owner as it would have needed certifying, I can not find another one anywhere, anyone seen or driven one,

Welcome to Aussie Frogs Dicanio! Speaksgeek - if you hover over (or click on) the big 'D', it reveals that Dicanio is in New Zealand, and that he only joined yesterday!

Yes, I saw that after I posted my reply. NZ had some weird special 206's, WRC limited editions etc. Still never heard of an EW12 one.
Hi I've only just realised I can use this forum, what I have is a 206 gti rallye edition, and it was only released in Australia, the RC200 refers to the number of cars Peugeot made to celebrate peugeots dominance in the 2000 and 2002 WRC it was based on the 140bhp version, it has a remus cat back, a BMC panel filter using the factory box , it has cat cams and a remap, which only adds a couple of ponies, the body has 247ks, its either had a newer gti engine,, or a rebuild. The only photo that I can upload is the twin tips all other files to large. Google 206 gti rallye there is one press release, nothing else on the entire internet,

Attachments

• 20200712_220430.jpg
    20200712_220430.jpg
    604.8 KB · Views: 169
Yes, I saw that after I posted my reply. NZ had some weird special 206's, WRC limited editions etc. Still never heard of an EW12 one.
Hi I've only just realised I can use this forum, what I have is a 206 gti rallye edition, and it was only released in Australia, the RC200 refers to the number of cars Peugeot made to celebrate peugeots dominance in the 2000 and 2002 WRC it was based on the 140bhp version, it has a remus cat back, a BMC panel filter using the factory box , it has cat cams and a remap, which only adds a couple of ponies, the body has 247ks on I'll post some images of the engine, its mint not one drip of oil or any other fluid, my point is it's not an ew12 swap it's a 140bhp gti engine, the rallye came with 16inch rims rally tuned suspension, colour coded spoiler, rallye floor mats, the block has ew10 and ew12 stamped on it the valve cover is numbered ew12 but have learned that dosen't mean it's an ew12 engine as they swapped parts from both engines, I love it, with mods it's very quick I've been through a few cars , buying fixing flipping, but this pug is here to stay.

Hi Dicanio,

If it's from Australia, the RC200 is not something Peugeot put on the car. The Rallye edition was a GTi, however it came with the devil exhaust, rear spoiler and guard mouldings on each wheel arch - all things that differ from a standard GTi (138) here in Australia. Click on the four pics to see larger versions.

I think it came with "special" car mats.

Its biggest feature was the Sony PS2, Logitec steering wheel and WRC2 game they threw in as part of the deal :)

431063.jpg431070.jpg431077.jpg431056.jpg

I think it also came with a little "Rallye" badge on the rear guard behind the door (not mentioned in the press release), like in this photo:

2003-peugeot-206-gti-rallye.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Dicanio,

If it's from Australia, the RC200 is not something Peugeot put on the car. The Rallye edition was a GTi, however it came with the devil exhaust, rear spoiler and guard mouldings on each wheel arch - all things that differ from a standard GTi (138) here in Australia. Click on the four pics to see larger versions.

I think it came with "special" car mats.

Its biggest feature was the Sony PS2, Logitec steering wheel and WRC2 game they threw in as part of the deal :)

View attachment 123617View attachment 123618View attachment 123619View attachment 123620

I think it also came with a little "Rallye" badge on the rear guard behind the door (not mentioned in the press release), like in this photo:

View attachment 123621
PM me I'll show you my gti rallye unless I can post photos now, if you see no photos pm me btw that blue one looks ready to scrap mine is mint and in gold Peugeot only made 64 gold GTIs, the photos in that press release, by the way if you're going to shoot me down get your facts right. And honestly it's best feature was that it came with a playstation how old are you, those photos in the press release were artist impressions going off peugeots statement, the flared arches aren't cheap plastic moldings they are part of the car, the gti badge you see in the photo does not exist, I have an aftermarket remus exhaust with twin tips. No official photos of the rallye were ever released, do you wonder why the car is all black? PM me I cant upload photos you can see my car then make your mind up.

PM me I'll show you my gti rallye unless I can post photos now, if you see no photos pm me btw that blue one looks ready to scrap mine is mint and in gold Peugeot only made 64 gold GTIs, the photos in that press release, by the way if you're going to shoot me down get your facts right. And honestly it's best feature was that it came with a playstation how old are you, those photos in the press release were artist impressions going off peugeots statement, the flared arches aren't cheap plastic moldings they are part of the car, the gti badge you see in the photo does not exist, I have an aftermarket remus exhaust with twin tips. No official photos of the rallye were ever released, do you wonder why the car is all black? PM me I cant upload photos you can see my car then make your mind up.
Also do you really think a major car maker like Peugeot would use $50 aftermarket flares riveted to the body, the flare is molded into each panel., I've had my rallye for about 8 months, I've contacted Peugeot Australia to give me any information on the GTI rallye, and they have none,, I've taken it to my local Peugeot dealership, to confirm the suspension and the car is a rallye, and also confirm that the RC200 badge could only have been put there when the car was made, the GTI rallye is the rarest 206 made, the WRC 206 4500 made so they could enter their 206 WRC car into competition, the GTI 180 , RC180 were made in the thousands, as I said PM me I have nothing to hide I will show you photos of my car gladly,

So I don't know why you're getting your back up. We're just trying to identify a weird set of options.
The 206 GTi Rallye is pretty common, the GTi180 is a stock model, the RC200 we've never heard of, and we've been interested in 206's since they were released.
There was a set of wheel arch extensions, often called SP arches that were a common dealer option on GTi's and 180's. They are obviously clipped on. If you've got extended metal arches, it's a truly rare car.

If you would post up (or PM me) your VIN, we can look it up on Peugeot's service system and see if there's anything special listed against it.
I'm not getting my back up, just PM me I'll gladly show you photos of my car

I can’t understand if your saying your car is the homologising special or not because it isn’t because yours doesn’t have the extended bumpers as above. Peugeot aust had one of these for local testing back in the day.

Thats a Wrc kit front bar and rear bar. Sold in the eu as a commemoration.

I've had it on a dyno I dont have a rallye a gti or an RC180 what I have is still a mystery dyno result 160bhp 221nm torque 20 more than the 180, as the 180 really only puts out 174bhp I'm 14bhp off but I have the torque and a 140kg weight advantage I seem to have found a gem, sorry before I carried on posting I wanted it on a dyno with results, no explanation as to what work has been done to it as none is visible, maybe you guys might have an idea, well as usual I cant post a photo of the dyno sheet. If anyone wants to see it pm me, peace out

I knew my car was quick I'm not an idiot I've flipped many cars air filter and exhaust standard I did not say that I had a special edition because of that, you putting words into my mouth, I've posted the dyno results as usual I cant post the sheet, the engine looks exactly like a gti engine a newer one but the same engine, after results and seeing a factory gti engine putting out those numbers , its magic, if you do have any positive feedback more than welcome, if you look at it I have the quickest factory 206 gti Peugeot made,

And in NZ on new cars, with a signed build plate by Marcus Gronholm and Richard Burns. That's not what our man who started this has.

He's convinced it's the only special edition made by Peugeot with a BMC airbox, Cat Cams, MacPherson struts, and a remus exhaust badly cut out of the rear bar.
I disagreed, and he's taken it badly. Never mind.
Now I'm able to defend myself, and putting words into people's mouths is not good, I never once said I think my car was a special edition because of those things the remus exhaust is aftermarket which is why it may look off a bit , but you just assumed, we will see how much you really know now I've put it on a dyno.

OK, cool.

Here is the car sent to me by Dicanio.
I looked it up on ServiceBox, and here are the basic specs.
It seems to me to be a pretty normal series 1 GTi, the gold colour is factory, the wheel arch "flares" are standard for GTi and GTi180, and CC, not SP flares or anything else.
The remus exhaust looks to have the surround cut out of the bumper to make it fit, which is different to how the twin tips on the 180, or the single devil exhaust was done.

The engine is listed as the standard EW10J4.

Based on what you've said above, the Cat Cams, BMC airbox, remus exhaust and RC 200 badge are probably aftermarket additions in the nearly 18 years since it was built. You didn't send a photo of the badge, so it's hard to verify if it looks factory or not.
Unless it's had a major swap done, it's not an EW12, although it would probably fit with a fair bit of fiddling. EW12 has VVT and CANbus, which the early 206's don't have (aka pre-mux), so it could be a complex ECU job to make it work.

I don't know what more you're trying to find out, we're only curious about a car you have presented as being a total orphan. It doesn't look to be that way, in fact it looks like a standard GTi that someone has modified to their liking.

Best of luck with it, nice looking car.

View attachment 123635
View attachment 123636
View attachment 123634
I have an update you seemed to know how to communicate without baiting 2 or 3 people having a go at you at once is enough to drive anyone made I'd love your feedback.
I can’t understand if your saying your car is the homologising special or not because it isn’t because yours doesn’t have the extended bumpers as above. Peugeot aust had one of these for local testing back in the day.
No I wasn't saying that all I knew is I was not driving a standard gti, I now have the results from a dyno run, if you're interested because I cant post any photos PM me you will be surprised to say the least.

Why can’t you upload a pic of the dyno result? There is an ‘insert image’ option in the reply window.

Hard to compete with a clique, I know what I have how fast it is and handles find me another factory with those specs, no turbo or knob head mods just a straight factory gti which would wipe the floor with the 180 0-100 6.3 seconds you would have to spend thousands to make those figures and i got it for next to nothing, just a bit of advice treat people with a bit of respect and not like imbeciles , dont jump on one person 4 handed that's what was pissing me off. And please stay in Australia with all of your shitarse emission laws and insurance up the backside, oh and take those stupid 17s off the 180 they ruin a thing of beauty. The other Peugeot forum is much more civilized, I would not recommend this forum.
Why can’t you upload a pic of the dyno result? There is an ‘insert image’ option in the reply window.
Here we go again I'm not a fucking retard it keeps telling me the file is to big, but you just think I'm making that up as I dont have a dyno sheet fuck this forum

Hard to compete with a clique, I know what I have how fast it is and handles find me another factory with those specs, no turbo or knob head mods just a straight factory gti which would wipe the floor with the 180 0-100 6.3 seconds you would have to spend thousands to make those figures and i got it for next to nothing, just a bit of advice treat people with a bit of respect and not like imbeciles , dont jump on one person 4 handed that's what was pissing me off. And please stay in Australia with all of your shitarse emission laws and insurance up the backside, oh and take those stupid 17s off the 180 they ruin a thing of beauty. The other Peugeot forum is much more civilized, I would not recommend this forum. To anyone bunch of fucking idiots

No need to insult. Take a photo of the result on your phone. You’ll get options on the size of the file. You can then upload the smaller file.

Have you looked up service box for yourself? It would at the least tell you what came out of the factory.

Nobody here is trying to be rude. The car is interesting.

There's a lot of Peugeot knowledge here in AF and I respect these posters. I see no reason to doubt your view of the car's performance. Our emission laws are less stringent than Europe's, at least since 505s came here, so our Pug imports are usually "over-qualified" in that respect.