2001 Peugeot 406 D9 Petrol

Peter C

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Yesterday, the chariot was idling roughly, which was less noticeable while driving. This morning's newspaper run at about 8.30 am necessitated a 2km walk due to said chariot failing to start. Motor turned over happily but no indication whatsoever of it wanting to start. Kept on trying to start chariot, but not until the battery had gone flat. Been down that path before - if it doesn't start after a number of attempts, it's not going to.

Tried starting it again this arvo and "hey presto" - it started just fine! Now also idling normally.

Took it along and got the codes read - "knock sensor" and "vehicle speed". Only ever use 95 ULP. Speedo sometimes goes down to zero, but it's been doing that for a few years. Was due for a new fuel filter about 16,000 km ago. Needs a new air filter as well, but it's not that bad. Could do with some new spark plugs.

I don't drive the car much and fill up when it gets down around a quarter full, which I did a couple of weeks ago.

Any thoughts on what is going on? A bit of bad fuel? At 22 years old (the car that is), I'm a bit suspicious of probably many things.

Probably start with a new fuel filter peter if it’s that far overdue,bit hard to diagnose once it has fired up and run ok with nothing changed.could have been the usual lack of fuel pressure,either filter partial blockage or open circuit to fuel pump or lack of spark,tdc sensor fault,ignition relay intermittent,fuse box connections faulty?.. jim

Thanks Jim. After talking to my son, more into modern car ins and outs than I, you could be on the right track. Although the 406 has only done 164,000km, it is 22 years old. Wondering if a new fuel pump might be in order as well?

I have a D6 406 (SV), also 22 years old, that has done 345,000km. I bought it nearly 10 years and 100,000 km ago and AFAIK it has never had any attention to the fuel pump, although to be far, my 28 year old (1995) 605 has required a replacement fuel pump. Whether or not you use Ethanol fuel can make a big difference to the life of the fuel pump, especially if the car is only used sparingly.

I do change fuel filters every few years on all my cars, and when you drain the fuel from the input end, the rusty looking muck that comes out is always impressive.

I've never used ethanol fuel. A change of fuel filter is definitely the first step. Do you use a genuine Peugeot filter or whatever from SCA, etc?

Never bought filters from SCA or Repco - have been convinced not to use Ryco etc.. Usually get Purflux (so OEM) from EAI, or David Cavanagh (French Connection, Melbourne), or Continental Cars (Sydney) - same for oil, air, pollen and fuel filters. You don't have to ask about brand - that's usually all they stock.

I think Mann is OK as well (made in Germany).

Buy in bulk and save (well on time and postage anyway)....

Well, I'm certainly having fun! New fuel pump (and fuel filter) is on hand and ready to install. Two bus trips and a fair bit of walking to EAI Box Hill later. Back seat is out, black plastic cover has been removed and fuel hoses and electrics disconnected. What could go wrong?

What could go wrong, indeed! I cannot get the fuel pump locking ring to undo. Okay, as long as you don't count maybe 1cm as moving. On the D9 406 HDi sitting out the back, the locking ring was firm but I was able to undo it. Also, YouTube has someone undoing the locking ring, with a little effort. Of course, with my luck, the locking ring on the one I drive seems to be glued in place!

What to do? I know there are locking ring removal tools, which I don't have.

Well, I'm certainly having fun! New fuel pump (and fuel filter) is on hand and ready to install. Two bus trips and a fair bit of walking to EAI Box Hill later. Back seat is out, black plastic cover has been removed and fuel hoses and electrics disconnected. What could go wrong?

What could go wrong, indeed! I cannot get the fuel pump locking ring to undo. Okay, as long as you don't count maybe 1cm as moving. On the D9 406 HDi sitting out the back, the locking ring was firm but I was able to undo it. Also, YouTube has someone undoing the locking ring, with a little effort. Of course, with my luck, the locking ring on the one I drive seems to be glued in place!

What to do? I know there are locking ring removal tools, which I don't have.
I have three an adjustable one and to genuine peugeot ones where are you also on some 406s the hole isn’t big enough for the sender to fit out. And there was a tsb for the fuel pump fuse change from 20 to 25 amp but I guess you checked that .

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that my mate and I spent some time trying to work out where the fuel was leaking from over the top of the pump unit. Couldn't see anything coming from either hose. no leaks from locking ring evident. Close inspection seems to show that there could well be a hairline crack on the return spigot of the pump. There is a horizontal stain running around part of it. I hope we are right.

I saw some adjustable ones on line so maybe that's my best bet.

Last edited:
Mind you, mate and I are getting on in years so eyesight isn't optimal. Now, just to get that locking ring off! Not a great design. It's come at a very bad time, several medical appointments, etc.

I've also learned that if you go by what the Haynes Manual says, your very likely to start breaking off some of the black plastic tabs, particularly if the ring is as tight as tight as tight.

Had a similar case a few years ago with a Saab a friend owned where it would turn over but not fire up.checked and no fuel at front but pump operating.took fuel pump out from tank under rear seat (after owner cut floor with tin snips coz hole was too small and offset to pump in tank).fault was short hose from pump to outlet inside tank was soft like licorice and split so pump just recuirculating fuel in tank.replaced with new fuel compatible hose and fired up straight away.

Oh yeah it’s leaking that’s very common mainly on 206s
And exactly what happened on the 206 I once owned.

Peter, you may need to buy or make a tool, as unlocking the ring may be only half the problem. After having fixed my 206, I couldn't get the locking ring on properly, and I could always smell fuel. On the 206 (and I presume your car) there are matching marks that need to line up when the locking ring is fully done up. Eventually I drove the car (with windows up and air vent open, to feed positive pressure into the cabin) to a Peugeot mechanic and he did up the ring to VERY close to where it was supposed to be. That worked.

I'm learning a lot about those locking rings, and it isn't very uplifting. I've more or less come to the conclusion that you really do need the special tool, or just admit defeat and take it along to a mechanic who has it.

Mind you, mate and I are getting on in years so eyesight isn't optimal. Now, just to get that locking ring off! Not a great design. It's come at a very bad time, several medical appointments, etc.
I could come down Thursday morning and have a gander if you want peter,coz I am only up the road from you..jim

Hi Jim. Yes! That would be great. I'll PM you details.